4 Reasons Why Being In A Serious Relationship Is Better Than Being Single

I couldn't imagine what my college experiences would be like if I weren't with my boyfriend.

3038

This is one of the most debatable college-student arguments out there. While a solid 50% of students will agree with what I have to say, another 50% begs to differ. This is alright, but let me explain my thoughts and reasoning.

I believe that being in a relationship is better than being single.

There, I said it. Now, no, I’m not saying you NEED to go find someone to date asap. What I’m saying, though, is don’t push someone away that could be a great potential partner just because you want “freedom” and you hope to find “better” or you want to “talk to multiple people without repercussions”. I have plenty of friends that always tell me, “No thanks, I’d rather stay single” when I try to hook them up with another friend. You’ve heard it before, too, whether you’re the person saying it, or the person it’s being said to. To solidify my arguments as to why I am so hard-headed on this topic, let me share the specifics here.

1. Why be alone?

People have this tendency to want to isolate themselves from others. Maybe because they’ve been hurt before, or maybe they’re anti-social. Maybe they just aren’t ready, or maybe they just want to meet others. Regardless of the reason, consider this: Why aren’t you ready? When will you be? Maybe you’re okay with spending only 20-30 years with someone, or less time at that. Personally, I would much rather prefer to be with someone for as much of my life as possible. Enjoy every moment this short life has to offer with someone who loves you. Isn’t that a dream that we all secretly wish we could step into? I mean, the initial goal, in the end, is to get married. Find the love of your life, and get married. Right? But have you thought further than that? Further than a piece of paper? Have you considered that maybe, just maybe your spiritual love life deserves as much attention as your physical love life too? I’m not going all hippy-dippy on you guys. Honestly, though, so many people don’t think about it. Imagine a scenario where you meet someone and you think to yourself, “I wish I would’ve met him/her ten years ago.” Well, ten years ago may be your today. So, while you’re okay with passing someone up, you’ll more than likely find yourself regretting it just because you aren’t “ready” to settle down. However, settling down isn’t bad at all. In fact, I think it’s better than having twenty other guys to talk to. There’s nothing better than being able to have a partner, a teammate, and someone who you can build from to be a better person. If that isn’t convincing enough, let’s dig deeper.

2. You’re guaranteed a support system.

This is something I have always felt like I have lacked. Support. I am one who, personally, enjoys taking a path that has yet to be taken. Rather than following on a common path and living life how others want me to, how society wants me to, I try my best to take the path that makes me a better person. That’ll make a change in the world. So, obviously having people in my life that stick by my side regardless of my choices, trusting the words I say and the actions I take, is crucial to me. To anyone, really. I mean, not everyone wants to support a girl who wants to move away from her hometown and travel the world and be in a serious relationship in college while pursuing a job that may or may not even exists. However, I do have few people that have backed me up. One of those people, and probably my biggest support, would be my significant other. While he supports me and backs me in anything I do, he helps to guide me. Even if it’s not the path he would take, he helps me take it. If that’s not amazing, I don’t know what is. So, why have less of a support system? Why not pursue something like that, and have somebody that’ll help you achieve your goals while you help achieve theirs? I ask you these questions assuming you’ve never asked yourself. But, if you’re still not convinced, let’s get a little emotional as we move to the third reason.

3. You never have to ask, “Where do I turn?”

During a time especially like college, I know my friends have struggled with this because I have to plenty of times. It isn’t uncommon to break down, it isn’t uncommon to feel alone (back to reason one perhaps?) but, you can help yourself. If you’ve ever felt yourself asking where you turn now, or who you turn to, let me ask you if you’re one of those people who believe that it’s okay to prefer being single. Again, there’s nothing wrong with it, but many people that prefer that are the people that have not considered yet reasons why they shouldn’t be. Rather, they consider the reasons they should. If you are, let me explain something. Again, this person is always your support, your backbone, your sun on a rainy day. So, when you’re having a bad day, why would you not prefer having someone who will work you through the hardest days. It’s choosing motivation. It’s choosing happiness. It’s choosing to fight through your hardest battles on the days you doubt yourself because you’ll always have someone there to pick you up. I remember the nights where school got stressful, FAFSA information and paperwork got to be too much, I was broke, and alone in another state. Except, I wasn’t alone. I had someone who was willing to come over, tell me it was okay, and help me get back on my feet. So, I’d definitely insist if you get the chance to be with someone that would treat you in such a way, it’s nearly idiotic to pass them up. Which brings me to my fourth and final reasons.

4. You’ll never have to live with regret.

Now, why on EARTH would you not want to be with someone who clearly shows all the ideals of being a fantastic partner? Just so you can have a few years of freedom and fun with other people? So you aren’t tied down? Have you thought, even just once, that ending up alone is more common with that type of mindset? When someone decides they don’t want to grow up, they decide “settling” just isn’t for them, those are the same people that ten, fifteen, twenty or more years down the road are lonely. They are wishing they had someone. While you’re in your thirties still partying and hooking up with randoms, all of your friends will be married, will have children, and will more than likely have a home and a stable job. Now, you may have all of those things and still be single, but again, nobody wants to live life alone. At the end of the day, you may be 35 or 40 or older coming home to yourself every day. Sleeping by yourself every night. All because you decided ten years ago that someone wasn’t enough, that going out and trying to scope out freebies and “hotter” options weren't worth ending up with nobody. Obviously, this is not guaranteed to happen, and some people are perfectly content with being alone. But I know I wouldn’t be, which is why when someone decent came my way, I wouldn’t look past them. After all, if they have the looks, the personality, and the compassion for you that you could ever ask for, what more do you really need? What more are you wanting to search for? I mean, hopefully, I don’t come off as too critical, but those people that you decide to pass up just for random hookups are the ones who end up happy with someone else.

Considering all I’ve said, I really hope I change a few minds out there about trying harder to be for something serious rather than single. I get it, college is supposed to be “fun” and you apparently can’t have “fun” if you’re in a relationship. However, here I am, a college student, going to the same parties with my boyfriend that you would go to single. I’m going to parties on the beach at spring break with him, we go out together, and live life together. We enjoy college experiences together. There’s no such thing as someone “holding you back” unless it’s you holding yourself back. A partner can’t hold you back, in fact, I held myself back before I met my boyfriend. He was the biggest reason I got to experience so much, and I have more fun with him than I’d ever had going to those parties and vacations alone. The way I see it, I couldn’t imagine a happier life than having someone by your side to conquer every little thing life throws at you, good and bad. College IS a great time, but it’s been even greater since I met my boyfriend. It’s been greater because even though for some time I felt like being single was “better” for me, it really wasn’t. All that did was play with my mind, play with the minds of others, and hell, I could’ve met my boyfriend months sooner had I not spent that time with other random people. So, on that note, try taking the advice I give. If you are HAPPIER single, then go for it. But don’t just be single so you can sleep around and scope out your options, or because you think a relationship will ever hold you back. These are common myths college kids tell themselves to make themselves seem happier with some of the not-so-brilliant choices they have made and make. I couldn’t imagine what I’d be missing out on without my significant other, and I can’t imagine what people are missing out on just because of a myth. As much as I will always support people living their lives however they’d like, I guess I have my own preferences.