​4 Reasons Why Many People That Struggle Financially CONTINUE To Struggle Financially

It’s the lottery tickets, the smoking, and the credit card reliance.

174
Matthew Henry on Unsplash

I see it day-in and day-out.

There are so many people that say they’re broke or are suffering from hard times but end up being in that spot for the rest of their life. They are always borrowing money from people or knee deep in credit card debt. This should not be happening to able-bodied people that have job opportunity. This list does not apply to those that are disabled or have things going on outside of their control.

I understand that life doesn’t always go to plan and bills can stack up fast etc.

However, there is no reason for someone to be stuck in that for multiple years unless terrible things just keep on happening. Our government readily distributes aid to those in need, and as of December 2017- the US unemployment rate is only 4.1%. There are countless ways to supplement your paycheck, whether through Uber, Lyft, or even taking surveys. The problem is NOT finding ways to make money. Here are the real reasons why people are staying poor.

1. They spend money every week gambling on lottery tickets.

Yes… playing the lottery is gambling. If you buy lottery tickets every week, you are, indeed, a gambler. If you’re spending upwards of $30 a week on the lotto one might say you have a gambling addiction. I’m not here to point out anyone’s bad habits though. My point is that you are completely wasting your hard earned money.

You do realize that the lottery is strictly geared for you to not win as much as you pay right? It wouldn’t continue on if everyone was winning more than they spent on playing. The only way you come out ahead is if you play rarely and keep your winnings (if you do win.) If you get lucky the first time and win $50, but then keep playing for the next 2 months and lose $60… you’re obviously at a loss. But, I’ll be getting the HOPE scholarship next year and want that to continue so uhhh play on Georgia!

I know, I know. I’m just pointing out everyone’s bad habits. That is kind of the point of this post though. Anyway, buying cigarettes every day/week is definitely keeping everyone broke.

2. They buy a pack a day.

A pack a day is 20 cigs, so let’s say you buy one every two days because you’re not that much of a smoking enthusiast. In Georgia, the average cost of buying a pack of cigarettes is $6.39 (according to Fair Reporters.) http://fairreporters.net/health/prices-of-cigarettes-by-state/ So if you pay that much once every two days for a year, that means you spent roughly $1,166 just on cigarettes.

What can you get for $1,166? Well using GasBuddy’s http://www.gasbuddy.com/USA average price for a gallon of gas in Georgia ($2.484) you could get over 460 gallons of gas with that. You could also buy a new set of tires for your car… twice. Smoking is a key player in keeping the cycle of poverty going, and cigarette companies prey on that too. It has been proven that they advertise more in low income areas. People willingly walk right into their trap, and they not only pay for it, but die for it too.

3. They buy luxury goods with money they do not have. AKA paying via credit card or loan.

Loans are important. Many people would not be able to buy a home or get an education without one. But getting a loan for upwards of $20,000 so you can by a brand new car… while you’re broke is just i n s a n e. You will be paying that off for a longggg time. You will probably decide you want a new car before it is paid off. On top of that, if your credit is bad, you will be paying incredible interest rates, which turn your $20,000 debt into a lot more.

Don’t even get me started on credit card debt. Honestly, if something bad happened, I rather owe my dad or my cousin $1,000 than the credit card company. At least I’m not stuck paying the minimum amount with the interest on top of that every month (plus the annual fee.)

Credit card debt is so bad. It just keeps building. And it tricks people that are broke into thinking they have more money than they do. Humans are creatures with hope… we always think things will be better in the future. Credit cards just whisper little ideas to you like “Psssttt. Hey you should soooo buy that. I know you don’t have the cash on you right now, but you’ll be making more in a few months. You can make up for it then.” Before you know it, you’re hooked and knee deep in debt because something happened and you are actually making less than you predicted!

4. Last but not least, people GET COMFORTABLE.

Being poor for your whole life is not okay! It is much too heavy of a burden for you to bear for that long. For me, my family had very hard times a year ago and are starting to pull through now. It is such a weight off of my shoulders. Financial struggles seriously hurt people and keep them from opportunities they would have otherwise. It is a cause of unceasing stress, frustration, and annoyance.

Yet people still get comfortable. In a way, I blame the government because they offer to give those struggling, hundreds of dollars for food every month. They eat great. They have a roof over their head. They have a car paid for with loans and clothes paid for with debt. They live ok! Some do this for their whole lives. They stay in their part-time or manual labor job (or jobless) and remain below or at the poverty line because it feels more comfortable than getting a job or going to college. They do not strive for better. They stay poor because that is what they’re used to.

I say all of this because I live in a somewhat poor area and every day I see people wasting their money on lottery tickets, cigarettes, and interest rates. They seem to stay poor forever. They have been on EBT for years and their family is on it too. This is not normal. It is not ok. America, we need a wake up call.

Government assistance is not meant to be a crutch, but a boost. Hopefully a boost you only need for a few months or maybe a year. The United States should NOT be having such large problem with poverty. Right now people have in-home robots and use A.I. technology daily. Haven’t we advanced more than watching average people smoke and gamble themselves to both financial and literal death?