4 Reasons I've Missed Ohio University

4 Reasons I've Missed Ohio University

OU offers a sense of community

12
4 Reasons I've Missed Ohio University
Lori Hensley

Over the break, I had really missed my college town (and the freedom that went along with it). I enjoyed being at home, but I spend most of my year in Athens. It’s where I feel the most comfortable. Being back in my hometown has its own perks, but nothing compares to the way I feel in my own little universe. I don’t know about you, but these are the reasons I missed Ohio University.

1. Coffee shops and little places

I love the coffee shops in Athens. There are tons of little places to get wrapped up in, including the library, the shops on Court Street, or the Union Street Diner. You can get coffee nearly everywhere. (It’s actually harder to find a place that doesn’t sell coffee!) The library itself is seven stories tall, and is open 24/5. You can rent laptops, and it is a useful space for group projects. All these places are good for meeting with people, getting homework done, and being inspired. I can’t think of anywhere else I’d rather be while I study or stress about everything.

2. Socializing

With so many groups on campus with specialization, it’s easy to find a healthy community and make friends. With these groups, there are often a lot of events, and the sense of belonging is always strong. I personally am involved with three groups on campus (and been in school one semester), and I’ve already made more friends in my one semester of college than I did in my whole four years in high school.

Plus, these people I’ve met have different views than I do, so I have plenty to learn from them. (It’s hard to do that when you go to high school for the main reason that everyone lives in the same place and anything outside of the norm is silenced). Most of the people I’ve met are easy to get along with. I have great conversations with everyone, and my experience is enriched by the knowledge I gain from my peers. A lot of socialization happens in Baker, which also holds West 82 and Latitude 39.

3. Events

There are always ways to venture out and explore, like open mics and rallies. These are opportunities to reach out to even more people or to get to know the people you’re acquaintances with. There is always something to do and someone amazing to do it with. If you have even a slight curiosity about a subject or group, there are ways to get involved with it, and your talents can be used in a variety of ways to attract more like-minded people.

I love going to open mic nights or having hot chocolate with my RA or going to a free movie. Just yesterday, I saw "Hidden Figures" at the Athena Cinema. There’s bound to be something going on at any given time. And like I said before, with so many places, there is always someplace holding a gathering of some sort.

4. Landscape

The campus has a lot of pride in its landscape, and it shows. Like the rest of Ohio, Athens has wonderful sunsets and scenery. The Ohio University campus is remarkable and truly beautiful. With lots of trees and flowers, it makes the campus seem bigger than it actually is, and it provides inspiration to anyone who lives here. I have an interest in photography, and it’s a great campus to photograph. Most of the things I’ve photographed are of Athens, and I’ve taken that knowledge home and applied it there.