4 Reasons Anthropology Is Important

4 Reasons Anthropology Is Important

Everyone should sign up for an anthro class tomorrow.

1907
4 Reasons Anthropology Is Important

According to many, anthropology is the throwaway field - the unimportant job, the unimportant work. However, humanities are important - anthropology is important, and should be a requirement for everyone to study at least once! Here's why.

You understand the world.

The world is a big place filled with many different cultures and everyone does things differently. In fact, there are many different ways to do things just in the U.S.! Understanding how to handle this is imperative, especially once one gets into the real world.

It's interesting.

Learning about the world is so cool, and that's basically an anthropologist's job description.

It makes you look outside yourself.

Ethnocentrism is so prominent in the world, and when you study anthropology, you are forced to re-evaluate everything you know. It's not the only way to think or believe.

You can relate it to literally anything.

Besides the four sub-groups (cultural, biological, linguistic and archeological), you can break them down even further to study the anthropology of media, anthropology of film, etc.