The 4 Best Books I Was Required to Read in High School

Sometimes assigned reading books can change your viewpoint and change your world.

102

Aside from the many reads about nuclear war that my school seemed mildly obsessed with and that awful book, Call of the Wild(I'm sorry if that's your favorite novel, but it will not be making my list), some of the books for required reading books were actually really amazing reads. Throughout my high school career, I have come across some literary masterpieces that were formative in my life.

Here are my top 5 favorite reads:

1. The Glass Menagerie

Quote: “I didn't go to the moon, I went much further—for time is the longest distance between two places”

This is one of my all-time favorites due to how truthful it is about humanity and about life itself. Tom is the picture of feeling stuck due to his responsibilities but is constantly dreaming of escaping to a brighter, freer future. Laura is one who is helpless and bound by her own insecurities and mother's expectations, and Tom and Laura's mother, Amanda, is dwelling and living in the past. Preoccupied with the past, she is the opposite of her son, who is preoccupied with the future and change. Tom finally so fed up with his situation that he does what many dream of doing but never do: he leaves. The readers or watchers are left then with the uncertainty of what happens afterwards as Tom merely recounts the memory of his sister and mother, and so what the future held for the family is untold and left to the imagination.

2. The Crucible

Quote: “Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet of them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; leave me my name!”

This play holds a special place in my heart, mainly due to the attachment that I have to the main character, John Proctor. While he has made poor decisions, such as his infidelity, in the end, John decides to chose the path of honor and honesty at the cost of his life. While it takes place during the Salem Witch Trials, this tale, likely because of it's authorship in 1950s, feels incredibly modern and is relatable. It points out how easily people will act in dishonesty in order to avoid blame and how easily lies can spiral out of control. While the ending is quite sad, it is triumphant due to Proctor's choice.

3. The Great Gatsby

Quote: "So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”

This Fitzgerald classic is the epitome of a story about the "American Dream." Gatsby has build himself up a new identity and become a wealthy man all to win the heart of a woman he once loved and remains obsessed with, Daisy. He has put in the work to accomplish his dreams, which is symbolic of the "American Dream. However, Fitzgerald wants to point out that most if any at all never truly accomplish what they set out to achieve. The pursuit of happiness is a guarantee, but achieving real happiness is not. A story equally about greed and wealth; The Great Gatsby reveals what measures people will go to in order to achieve wealth. Once Gatsby had tragically died, because he could no longer give the people lavish parties, they didn't even honor what he had done for them and flocked to another source of luxury like leeches. Fitzgerald is quite critical of the "American Dream" in this novel, which is evident in the fact that his title character despite achieving status and wealth never really gets what he wants.

4. To Kill a Mockingbird

Quote: “People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.”

This often-assigned novel is a wonder for its light-hearted nature and heavy-hearted subject matter. Told from the eyes of a child, this viewpoint brings a unique perspective in this story of a small, Southern town. It is an honest perspective: one not jaded by hatred and one not clouded by idealism. This book touches upon racism and hope, evil and good, and horrible people and those who are intrinsically good. Scout is not really a hero in the story, but rather a storyteller, telling of the small-town heroes: her father and the unlikely Boo Radley.

These assigned reading pieces have truly touched my life due to their symbolism, depth, and message. They prove that while it may seem like a chore to have to tackle so many books, these books can make a real difference in the life of the reader by giving them a new perspective and understanding. I'm definitely thankful for being assigned these masterpieces.