4 Benefits To Having A Diverse Friend Group

Why having friends who are different and diverse is a good thing

6920
geralt

Diversity makes America a unique and special country unlike any other. I have a diverse group of friends made up of people belonging to different groups in terms of race, religion, and sexual orientation. Here are four benefits to having a diverse group of friends.

1. Learning About Different Views

Friends make some of the best teachers, sometimes even without realizing it. Having friends who share different views and ideas can teach us about our own views and ideas, but also to accept people and their differing viewpoints. Learning about other people's view allows people to become educated and knowledgeable about other cultures and ideologies.

2. Learning Acceptance

Many people just want to be accepted. Having a diverse group of friends teaches people to love and accept people who have views that are different from their own. People are so quick to judge others and looked down upon people because their views are different fro their own. Accepting people regardless of their views allows people to feel the acceptance that everyone should be able to have.

3. Learning not to care what people think

So many people spend their lives worrying about what other people think of them. People are quick to judge other people, and that causes people to be careful and not act as their true selves because they are afraid of what people will think of them. So many homosexual couples are afraid to hold hands in public or express any other public displays of affection because they are afraid of what others will think of them. The opinions and judgments of others interprets the people's actions. No one should have any influence on what you say or do. People should not feel the need to hold back just because they are afraid of what other's will think. Having a diverse group of friends teaches people not to care about what others think of you, your friends, and the people you chose to spend your time with because if you don't care, then why should they?

4. Learning to love people for who they are, not what they look like

It is human nature to gravitate towards people who look like you. Looking at people is the quickest and easiest way to judge a person's culture, race, sexual orientation, etc. Being friends with people who appear to be different from yourself means that your friendship was not founded on appearance. If you are not getting to know a person because of their looks, then you know them on a more fundamental and personal level. Friendships that are founded based on personality and actually getting to know someone tends to last longer and be closer than friendships that are formed based on looks.