4 Batman Animated Films To Check Out If You Want To Get Into Comics

Four of the finest Batman backstory films ever made!

32
Movie Pilot

So you like Batman, and want to learn more about his history. The problem is that reading 77 years worth of comics can be a daunting task. Batman has undergone a humongous transformation throughout his history. There was the Detective era in the early days, where the Dark Knight even used a gun and killed criminals at the drop of a hat. Hardly reminiscent of the character we all know and love today (Unless you count the DC murderverse). After that came the Adam West era of the TV show. This is a beloved era by many fans and the comics reflected this change in Batman's personality. After this faded out, the 80's came and with it a return to form. Batman was finally the hero that many know today. Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns added much to the Batman character and mythos. The 90's added the excellent Batman the Animated Series, which I can't recommend enough if you're a fan of the character. You get the idea, though. Comics are a strange animal in that, as they continue, the characters cannot age too much. Also adding to the problem is that the more backstory you add to a character, the harder it is for new readers to jump into the series.DC has tried to remedy this with the New 52 and most recently with Rebirth. These were great efforts by the company to give newbies a great jumping off point, but which past stories were kept and which were retconned into obscurity? The DC animated movies provide a great way for fans to catch up on some of the Caped Crusader and other DC heroes best stories. Here is a list of some of my favorites:

4. Son of Batman

This story follows the journey of Batman's son Damien Wayne. Unbeknownst to the Dark Knight he has a son who has been raised by the League of Assassins for years. After an attack on their compound by a fan favorite DC villain, whom fans of the Teen Titans series will appreciate, Ra's Al Ghul is presumed to be dead. Damien feels as if he is to blame for the loss of his beloved grandfather, but there is no time to mourn. His mother takes him to meet his father for the first time. Batman is shocked to see Talia, his former lover and discovers that she drugged him one night, explaining how she became pregnant with his child. Talia leaves the boy in Bruce's care while she attempts to avenge Ra's. This story succeeds on many levels. The Batman and Robin dynamic is one that is an honored tradition in the comics. Batman treats the boys as if they are his own sons and in this case, Damien really is. Damien is a well-trained fighter but is innately a killer. This clashes with the Caped Crusader's golden rule and creates an interesting dynamic between the two. Batman has always been the most physical fighter of the two, with Robin providing support. Damien is very brash and headstrong, but maybe he can learn a thing or two from his old man. This movie doesn't exactly follow the story told in the comics, but it gives you a great understanding of how the new Batman and Robin interact. If you enjoy it their area also two sequels that follow the story further.

3. Justice League: Doom

This film loosely follows the JLA: Tower of Babel story line. This comic arc is often touted as one of the League's best stories and for good reason. Have you ever wondered what would happen if one of the members of the Justice League went rogue and turned evil? Of course, Batman has. The story shows what would happen if the bad guys happened to get the Dark Knight's contingency plan for all of his fellow League members. The characters are taken down in intelligent and logical ways, with Batman's being one of the most brutal. The film explores Batman's intense paranoia and delves into how his closest friends feel about his insecurity. At the end of the day, Batman's true character shines through. He will do whatever he needs to protect the Earth, even if it means burning bridges with his comrades. The main difference between the film and comic is the main antagonist in the movie is Vandal Savage and the Rogues Gallery of JLA villains, whereas in the comic it is primary Batman antagonist Ra's Al Ghul.

2. Batman Under the Red Hood

This is one of the quintessential Batman tales. Under the Red Hood tells two stories simultaneously, the story of Jason Todd (the second Robin) and the rising of a dangerous new antihero who is cleaning up the streets of Gotham in a violent way. The Red Hood is a character from the Dark Knight's past and Batman is trying to find out why he is back. The New Red Hood is one of Batman's greatest foes and pushes our hero to his limits. The cast is brilliant in their portrayals of the characters turning in all-star performances by Bruce Greenwood, Neil Patrick Harris, and John Dimaggio just to name a few. The duality of the stories shines a light on some of Batman's greatest failures. This one sticks pretty close to the comics and is a must see for those looking to expand their knowledge of the Dark Knight.

1. The Dark Knight Returns

The Dark Knight Returns is the one of the, if not the greatest, Batman comic.This film is everything that Batman Vs. Superman should have been. It features an old grizzled Bruce Wayne, who has retired from being Batman, much like Affleck in the latest film. Our hero comes out of retirement to deal with a vicious new gang called the Mutants. This unhinged Bruce is much more violent and brutal in his fights. The plot allows for the return of many DC favorites including Jim Gordon, the Joker, and of course the Man of Steel himself. The most interesting thing about it is the way the world has changed in Batman's absence. Superman is a lackey for the president and the Joker has become catatonic without Batman to fight. Miller has a distinct penchant for nailing the emotional depths of these characters and it really shines through in the film. This, of course, all leads up to the ultimate clash of heroes at the film's climax. By the end, you are reeling in your seat wanting more. This film is near animated perfection and if you've never seen it I encourage you to go out and pick it up.While the story does not take place during the main Batman timeline, it is still a great character study of our favorite masked vigilante. It also will give you new eyes by which to watch BVS with, so you can see where they were trying to go with it and how they failed.

Hopefully after reading this you have some new films to check out starring some of your favorite DC superheroes. I also hope that this article will spur you to start reading some of the comics. Once you start with some of these stories, you may feel more comfortable jumping into a new series that is part of the DC Rebirth era. With some of the stories being once again reset, this could be the best time to pick up a new monthly book or two.