A Native New Yorker's Favorite Aspects Of The Big Apple

It's not a destination, it's just a way of life.

12

Born and raised (for 10 years) in the "Capital of the World," I fell in love with the urban lifestyle of taking the subway and buses to certain places (even though my family had a car back then) & the fast-paced environment around me. I enjoyed the feeling of being close to everything and I barely cared about the inevitable traffic jams, except when we drove far to late-night barbeques with family and friends.

Moving to Plainview out on Long Island took that away from me. I went through a bit of a culture shock here. It's relatively quiet except near the main roads. Although this is a very nice place to live and I really appreciate my parents' desire to get me a better education as opposed, I have a strong inclination to move back. Here are the enjoyable aspects about the city life I miss and am still missing out on.

1. Proximity to all the action

When there's so many things going on 24/7, the vibe feels so energizing that I can't stay home and I feed off that energy for other parts of my life. Although I do appreciate time away from the action to relax every now and then, I sometimes feel a bit deenergized at home, where it tends to be quiet.

2. Diversity of people

There's a reason it's called the Melting Pot. There's no one type of person you'll come across, (perhaps unless you only go to the same places all the time). 40% of New York City's residents weren't born in America. The possibilities of different interests to explore and new things to learn seem endless.

3. Not requiring a car

Auto insurance through the roof? Can't find parking? Wan to go greener? Well, in most of New York City, not having an automobile can actually be a blessing. The subway, city buses and ferries are usually the best ways to get practically anywhere throughout the 5 boroughs. If you need the extra exercise, then you can also bike anywhere around. I won't waste time talking about the extra health benefits that come with the extra exercise of choosing to walk, bike, etc. but, all the more reason to live somewhere that car ownership isn't necessary.

4. Fast pace of things

For somebody as charismatic as me, it can be hard to have patience for anything slow. This is the perfect location for living in the moment and making the most of everyday. As changes constantly happen, they present opportunities to rectify your mistakes and prove yourself on a daily basis. Although there will be those days where you're in a rush to get to your next destination, there will still be reminders to enjoy the journey regardless of what it is.

Well, you can take the kid out of the city but not the city out of the kid. To those of you who get the Big Apple experience now, have fun and embrace the blessings of the greatest city on earth. I'm jealous (Just kidding, I'll be back there soon enough)!