31 Songs Our Parents Played For Us When We Were Kids

I'm willing to bet these songs are the same ones your parents played for you in the car or at home.

4655

The past generations of music have been regarded as "Oldies" by radio stations and even "that old-timer music our parents listen to" by some not-so-respectful people in the world. In fact, we should be grateful our parents played these songs for us, because then we wouldn't have any connection to the past (or at least one connection). They're timeless classics our parents grew up on, and on those road trips as a kid they had dozens of CDs of these songs. It's time to relate to these as much as possible.

This list of songs were compiled from the POV of someone whose parents grew up on R&B, Soul, Rock, Soft Pop, Jazz, among others. This person is also from New England so one of these is an ode to the Boston Red Sox. Although these songs are just a tidbit of thousands and thousands of others, they are good points of interest to connect similar songs to your own personal list. So please, sit back and enjoy this playlist of "Oldies" music from this DJ.

31. "Blue Suede Shoes" - Elvis Presley

The King of Rock and Roll himself has probably been played many times when you were a kid, especially if you had a relative like my aunt who idolized Elvis. This song perfectly captures the youth of Elvis' music and how his voice influenced many other artists.

30. "Let's Stay Together" - Al Green

This song may or may not have been played in your house or the car, but occasionally this song pops up on the radio and many remember the lyrics as a man pleading to his lover to stay together. A perfect soul love song!

29. "How Sweet It Is to Be Loved By You" - James Taylor

A cover of Marvin Gaye's hit song, legendary singer/songwriter James Taylor is probably also a familiar name for those whose parent's grew up on "Fire and Rain" and even "Mexico". Taylor's perfect blend of rock and soul is heard here on this great song!

28. "Turn the Page" - Bob Seger

Yes, "Night Moves" could've been played more than this song, but Bob Seger's discography has some hidden gems like this song. Recorded live at a concert, this version was possibly played in the car on those long road trips with your dad.

27. "Fly Me to the Moon" - Frank Sinatra

Frank Sinatra is considered one of the best singers of all time, and Ol' Blue Eyes' version of "Fly Me to the Moon" was probably played at a cousin's wedding or even when fancy dinner was served (Odd, I guess). Now thinking about it, is Jazz the only genre to eat dinner to? I've got a lot of questions, mom and dad...

26. "Maggie May" - Rod Stewart

Rod Stewart is a rock legend. The local oldies radio station is usually playing this classic song as your mom or dad picked you up from school. That or soccer practice.

25. "It's The Same Old Song"- The Four Tops

Motown is a name you hear often when your parents talk about oldies soul, and The Four Tops' classic song definitely blared through those speakers when going on a trip to either the grocery store or that local cafe for breakfast.

24. "Sister Golden Hair" - America

A top pick for a long road trip ahead, this song was probably your parents' favorite when it came on, especially that chorus. Also, the guitar's opening riff is something you'll remember when listening to it again.

23. "The Love I Lost" - Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes

A rainy day probably provided the perfect opportunity for this song, and Teddy Pendergrass' vocals throughout the song is always something to cherish as the raindrops flow across the window as your parents drive home from school.

22. "That's Amore" - Dean Martin

Another King, except Dino was the essence of cool. His vocals of this song possibly made this song a personal favorite of your folks as they plan that trip to Italy (but possibly never take due to work and such).

21. "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?" - Creedence Clearwater Revival

This song has a personal connection to me: my dad would play it in the truck as we drove home from school and I'd sing along to it. He definitely knew what music his kid would get into: good music. Thanks, dad. CCR is one of those bands your parents discovered during the mid-1970s when they were sick and tired of disco and wanted some good tunes.

20. "The Gambler" - Kenny Rogers

There was a Geico commercial a few years ago with this song, and if you grew up on old country playing from your dad's truck, then you'll definitely remember this. Who doesn't love a good old song about gambling?

19. "Tiny Dancer" - Elton John

Elton John can perform with that piano all day and it wouldn't get old. His songs are timeless, and "Tiny Dancer" is a song your parents probably played when you were a kid. The chorus and strings accompanying this song is a sure sing-along choice.

18. "Hot Fun In the Summertime" - Sly & The Family Stone

A BBQ in the middle of the summer is the perfect setting for this song, so your parents raised you right on this song when your uncle grilled some mean burgers and dogs under the sun.

17. "Bad Bad Leroy Brown" - Jim Croce

Jim Croce is a name some might recognize, and his storytelling ability in his songs make this song a sure pick for your parents to play when picking you up from the same school or that soccer practice on a Tuesday.

16. "We've Only Just Begun" - The Carpenters

If your mom grew up on The Carpenters like mine, then this song definitely played in the car when they would drive us to school. NO JOKE. The soothe, cuddly sound to this song makes this list because once it ended, you feel like you can take a vacation to a lake house or an early morning walk in the park...

15. "Purple Haze" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience

...which leads us to this next song. Once mom got out of the car and dad then drove you to a friend's house or on a trip to Home Depot, the incredible guitar ability of Jimi Hendrix blared through the speakers like sweet adrenaline enamoring the atmosphere.

14. "What A Wonderful World" - Louis Armstrong

This song usually comes on during somewhat of a sad time in your childhood: a relative passing away. The funeral is over but as your parents drive home, they put this song on to remind you that life is something to appreciate after something sad has happened. Thanks, Louis Armstrong. You'll definitely remember this song as a kid.

13. "Stand By Me" - Ben E. King

Another song that probably came on during the summer. As your parents are sitting on the deck looking out at the water, then this song definitely had some playing time as a kid. King's voice is something to cherish in this song, and the movie this song inspired is just as classic.

12. "Twist and Shout" - The Beatles

The Beatles will always be the first band you listened to as a kid: their extensive discography of classic songs reverberates throughout your childhood so much that "Help!" will probably be on your workout playlist. Their early hit "Twist & Shout" possibly played at a family reunion at one point, and grandma busted out some sweet moves when it played (or not because you were probably scarred for life after that).

11. "Night Fever" - Bee Gees

Again, this song was probably outplayed by "Stayin' Alive" by this talented sibling group. The upbeat sound is what makes this song the epitome of disco music in the 1970s when your parents were our age. This song either played when dad was cooking dinner or when a relative still trapped in the 1970s picked you up from school one day. Either way, this is a definite hit when you were a kid.

10. "Brown Eyed Girl" - Van Morrison

As a kid growing up in Boston, this song was always playing on the now-defunct radio station Oldies 103.3. Morrison's vocals contribute to a nice guitar riff as you listened to this on the way to a Red Sox game or even the beach.

9. "Rock With You" - Michael Jackson

MJ was still at his peak when you first listened to him as a kid. Your parents cherished his talent, so this song was either on during the drive home from school or again, that soccer practice you really don't like but have to go to anyway. This song is just a tidbit of the various hits made by the King of Pop.

8. "Stairway to Heaven" - Led Zeppelin

There's no way your parents didn't get on in life without listening to Led Zeppelin, so technically this song has an automatic place in this list. Their most iconic (and also eight minutes long) song garners up many memories from your folks' time, especially the guitar solo that makes the song so powerful. A sure road trip song choice, your parents definitely played this when you were a kid.

7. "What's Going On" - Marvin Gaye

Another family reunion, another song with 100% Soul guaranteed. Gaye's song does bring up some important issues about racism and tension in America, but his vocals make this song sound like something else. Again, your childhood was touched with some soul when Marvin Gaye's song came on at the party and your dad does a little jig to it.

6. "My Girl" - The Temptations

A song etched in your childhood like a birthmark. The epitome of Motown's sound, The Temps' chart-topper is a feel-good song when you were on your way home from school the day you met a girl you might like. The instrumentals are pure and the vocals are superb, so hopefully this song played once during your childhood.

5. "I Feel Good" - James Brown

Captions: When you get a good grade on a test; When you're getting takeout for dinner; When your parents let you stay up late one night; a smattering of other captions are perfect reasons for James Brown's song to come on in the car or at home. The Hardest Working Man in Show Business surely sang to your childhood with power and soul mixed in one. So you must...feel good when remembering this song (pun fully intended).

4. "Dirty Water" - The Standells

If you've ever been to a Red Sox game at Fenway Park, this song always plays when they win a game at home. A somewhat ode to Boston, the guitar and vocals throughout the song is the perfect memory of growing up in the city. For a Bostonian like me, this song should be the state's national song, but I guess it's for the better.

3. "(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay" - Otis Redding

Redding's sudden death in the mid-1960s didn't stop this song's legacy to come full circle. As your summers were spent at that lake house, this song definitely played as your family sat on the deck as the sun went down. Redding's whistling towards the end will always stand out, and the song itself is a sure memory to remember.

2. "September" - Earth, Wind & Fire

The song that encapsulates a perfect way to get a party started, "September" is that song your parents first played for you as a kid. The entirety of this song will get your feet moving as mine are right now as I sit writing this article and listening to it. So..."Do you remember?"

1. "The Joker" - Steve Miller Band

The bass heard throughout this song will trigger a certain memory in your childhood as your parents played this in the car on the way home or just at home when they were cleaning or cooking. This song perfectly sums up your first exposure to rock music, and the guitar solos throughout it sum up how rock is great music time and time again. Those high riffs that emulate a whistle are great, too.

Though there are many other songs that might be on this list, these 31 songs are great starting points as you look back at some of the music our parents played when we were growing up. So sit back, turn up the volume, and enjoy these throwbacks as they were intended.