30 Things I've Learned in College So Far

"College isn't going to be this easy," said every high school teacher ever.

4
Amber Angstadt

"College isn't going to be this easy" - said every high school teacher ever. Well, they weren't right, but they also weren't wrong. College has taught me many beneficial things that would be useful in the workforce, but also a lot of things that are beneficial to my everyday life.

1. You'll meet some of the best, and the worst, people in your life. I've met my best friend, and a lot of other great friends that it would break my heart if I lost them, but I've also met some of the worst people. Some people are just downright mean in college.

2. The best part of college: being able to skip class. The worst part of college: being able to skip class.

3. College is the perfect opportunity to make new friends. Seriously, talk to everyone! You'd be surprised who becomes your friends.

4. It's almost like high school....but WAY better.

5. Having a roommate is like having a really long sleepover. It's cool sometimes, but don't get too comfortable.

6. Going out is acceptable, when kept to a minimum.

7. Bedtimes no longer exist. One minute it's 10 PM, the next it's 1 AM and you have no idea why you're not asleep yet for your 9 AM.

8. Netflix, Google, Amazon, and Chegg are going to be your best friends throughout college.

9. College can be hard...and it costs A LOT. DO NOT WASTE THE MONEY IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE THERE.

10. Going to a college you love makes it so much easier to learn. You don't want to be somewhere you hate, because all you'll think about is wanting to leave.

11. School food is and always will be questionable.

12. The bookstore is expensive. Always check prices somewhere else before committing to just the bookstore.

13. The Dollar Store will become your favorite store.

14. Ramen becomes an exquisite meal.

15. CALL YOUR MOM. Everyday. Really. She misses you.

16. Don't wait to do your laundry, or soon enough you'll have no clothes and a pile the size of Mt. Everest.

17. Make sure you get along with your roommates. This is actually extremely vital. You can't live with people you can't stand. A dorm is only so big...

18. Save your change. It adds up. Trust me.

19. Get involved in clubs, sports, or just being a spectator/supporter.

20. STUDY. STUDY. STUDY.

21. The library isn't "for nerds." Suck it up and go to the library if you need to.

22. Tutors are awesome, and you can make friendships out of it.

23. Don't be scared to ask for help. It's not going to hurt your self pride, no one is going to make fun of you. This isn't high school anymore.

24. Always say "thank you" to anyone that does something that contributes to the college or yourself. Even the grounds crews, cafeteria workers, coaches, professors, and friends.

25. Watching Grey's Anatomy in anatomy isn't as beneficial as it sounds...

26. Learn from your mistakes.

27. Be open to try new things. I tried sushi and loved it.

28. You're in college to learn and earn a degree, not find the love of your life. Stop with the pick up lines and pick up a book instead.

29. It's acceptable to do things alone now. You can't always have someone there to hold your hand.

30. Enjoy it. It goes by extremely fast!

College can be the best or the worst four years of your life, but it all depends on how you make it. Enjoy your time, and be yourself!