3 Tips To Help You Adjust

3 Tips To Help You Adjust

Tips for out of state college students

13
3 Tips To Help You Adjust

"The further you get away from yourself, the more challenging it is." - Benedict Cumberbatch

In honor of the new school semester approaching for college students, I thought it would be helpful to provide a few tips to help those out of state students to adjust to life outside of their comfort zone. I am currently entering my senior year at Claflin University in Orangeburg, SC, with keeping that in mind I am also a native of the great motor city known as Detroit, MI. I am 743 miles away from the place that I call home. So trust me, I am expert of the information that I am sharing with you!

I am quite often asked, "how am I able to be so far away from my family?", "how can I only go home twice a year?". At first I never really had an answer or even a simple thought as to how I did it; I just did it. Inside I would always laugh and say it comes with time. But honestly it comes with much more than just time so these few tips should help those freshman or even returning out of state students to find some peace in life outside of their comfort zone.

1. Find your truth.

Like my grandmother says, "You are the company you keep."

If you do not know who you are, or even know what you want in life, you can easily attract the wrong people in your life.

For example: There is this group of sophomore guys that keeps inviting you to hang out every night and going to a "Lituation." What studying are you getting done? Are you missing class that next morning because you need to rest? These are not ideally bad people, but these people will not help you achieve your goals. You need to know yourself, or as I like to refer to it as your truth. Knowing your truth is when you are able to identify yourself outside of the crowd, and being in touch with your inner self; focusing on your needs.

Find friends or a group of people who care if you are going to class, or better yet find someone who cares if you are passing your class. Having this type of person in your circle will allow you the opportunity to be all that you need to be. Or even find someone special who will force you to be nothing less than great. (Thank you, baby) But this does not mean try to go out and try to find someone special. Allow that to come with time and much prayer.

2. Keep In contact with Mother Board.

Now I know you just read that and instantly thought how corny is he, right? But I am serious, it is nothing like having family to support you through all of your dreams and desires.

I wake up every morning with a crazy idea, and I will text my parents, brother, and grandmother to see what they think. Because I know they'll tell me when I am pushing my limits, or not even giving all that I have to a situation. Prime example each time I write an article, or even a paper that's for homework for a class, I have to let my parents proof read it and weigh in with their thoughts before I turn it.

Your family is always there to guide you and you to help you achieve all that you can be.

With that being said I humbly thank my parents for allowing me to be me, and for always being willing to hear my never ending stories and thoughts. I know that though I no longer financially depend on them I am nothing without their support.

You might want to also keep in mind of the little siblings, nieces, nephews, and cousins that actually look up to you. I often text my brother and ask him one thousand and one questions just so I can get inspired to keep going.

3. Be a team player.

Get proactively involved on campus! Do community service, find a home church, be active in the church, or even get a job! JUST GET INVOLVED!

While being at Claflin I have been a part of many things, which in returned has opened great doors for me!

Even now a little after a year of working at Chick-Fil-A , I am serving as a manager. With this responsibility I have not only gotten close with my fellow workers, but I've even made a best friend, a step mom, and a great older brother. Not to mention two awesome little sisters as well. But even with the owners I consider them to be like an aunt and uncle to me.

People can not help you, if they do not know you! It is extremely important that you get out and be active. "Closed mouths don't get fed."

Stay tuned for more awesome tips on life outside of your comfort zone and living your truth!!