3 Things To Know Before Studying Abroad In Oxford

What Is A Tutorial? What Is Oxford? What Are Pubs?

1048
wikipedia.com

Studying abroad in Oxford is an incredible experience that some of us nerds dream about throughout our educational careers, but what exactly does it involve? Many students only know the bare minimum about life in Oxford before stepping off a plane in London, so I've compiled a list of a few things to keep in mind. What is a tutorial? What is Oxford? What are pubs?

1. What Is A Tutorial?

The education system in Oxford (and Cambridge) is different from anywhere else in the world. In Oxford, the way in which students learn relies heavily on the tutorial system. A student picks a topic to study and is paired with a professor called a "tutor". The tutor and the student then meet in a one on one session to work out exactly what aspects of the chosen topic the student wants to study, and a schedule of meetings called "tutorials" is drawn up. Then, the tutor will assign a reading list and an essay topic to the student, who then must find and read all of the books in question as well as some outside material, and write an essay of on average 2,000 words. After about a week, the student will have his first tutorial with his tutor and they'll have a socratic discussion about the topic of his essay where the tutor will often argue with the student in order to help them both refine their overall understanding. Then the student is given a new reading list and essay topic and the cycle continues weekly.

(1 tutorial meeting = 1 US credit hour at most Universities)

2. Oxford University, A History

Oxford University is a collection of colleges started in either the 1200's when the king of England demanded that all English scholars leave France and return home. At the time the best place to get an education in all of the western world was the Sorbonne in Paris, so when all the English professors and students came home they were left alone in the dark, a bunch of lonely nerds without a home. So, they did what any group of displaced people would do - they banded together to start their own University in a town called Oxford on the river Isis.

There were originally four Colleges in Oxford, each specializing in a specific field of study, but now there are 38 Colleges and 6 Permanent Private Halls (typically more specialized colleges). Most Colleges are traditional, liberal arts colleges with a wide range of courses, but many specialize in one major or another. If you're planning on studying in Oxford, you will need to be affiliated with a particular College, so if you're looking to study in a specific field it's a god idea to do some research into where the best tutors are located. It's also good to understand that the Colleges all have their own buildings and libraries located around the city of Oxford. The city itself is built around these Colleges, and often you'll find that beyond a nondescript wooden door in the side of an alley lies a beautiful oasis of English gardens and courtyards of classrooms and student residence halls.

Also, you can't take books out of the main University library, the Bodelian, and before you receive your library card you must speak an oath in your native language and sign a document stating that you mean no harm to the precious books. Even the King of England can't remove a book from the library!

3. Pub Life

The pub is the primary hang out of average Oxford students. They eat there, drink there, and use it basically in the same way that Americans would use a college town coffee shop or diner, just with more alcohol involved. Pubs vary in atmosphere and can draw different crowds, so it's good to try a handful of places around town before settling into one familiar place. At night pubs come to life and pub crawls are almost a right of passage for anyone studying abroad. Making friends with upperclassmen is the easiest way to find out where all the cool kids go to relax after a hard week of studying.

A few of my favorite pubs were The Lamb and Flag (the pub famous for hosting regular meetings between C. S. Lewis, J. R. R. Tolkien, and the other Inklings, they also have a great spinach and potato pie), and The Wig and Pen (friendly bartenders and great mac and cheese in a modern, sports bar kind of atmosphere). But there are so many pubs all around Oxford that have all kinds of different atmospheres to offer, so see what suits you best and ask around for suggestions. Everyone has a favorite!

If you're not 18, or if alcohol just isn't your thing, there are plenty of cafes, restaurants, and sandwich shops around Oxford to grab something to eat with friends. Student favorites are The Alternative Tuck Shop (known for its amazing sandwiches), and Thaikoon (an authentic Thai restaurant that is a little more pricy than the average cafe, but definitely worth it for the fantastic curry and thai iced tea). If food and drink in general aren't your cup of tea, Oxford is full of parks and gardens to explore. There's a place for everyone.