3 Shows That Prove That Good Cartoons Didn’t Die With The ‘90s

Not all cartoons today are garbage.

52
Wpaperhd

Many adults don’t believe that there are any good children’s cartoons anymore. I’m here to tell you that there are still good cartoons, and hint: they’re not all strictly geared toward adults. Cartoons like “Family Guy,” “Bob’s Burgers,” and “Archer” are all hilarious animated shows made strictly for adults, yet if you only watch these adult cartoons you’re only scratching the surface of quality animated television.

There seems to be a stigma around adults who watch cartoons. As if that saying “Trix are for kids” somehow translates into a steadfast rule in the realm of animated television. Cartoons are not only for kids, that is, so long as there are solid writers behind the show. In fact, almost a third of Cartoon Network’s audience are adults over 18. It requires a lot of subtlety and finesse to create children’s show that also piques the interest of adults. Tune in to Disney Channel or Cartoon Network for some shows guaranteed to bring out your inner child and rekindle your appreciation for a well-developed cartoon.

1. Steven Universe

A Cartoon Network show, “Steven Universe” follows the goofy and lovable Steven Universe and his adventures with the Crystal Gems, a group of magical beings and self-proclaimed defenders of Beach City — and the rest of the universe. The Crystal Gems fled from their homeworld after rebelling against their society in order to defend the planet Earth, its people and resources, rather than exploiting them as the leaders from their world desired. The show on a large scale is based around the beautiful story of how Steven came into the world and his journey to becoming a Crystal Gem. But on a smaller scale, the show is about love. Not just love between romantic partners, but about loving everyone. Though powerful romantic relationships are interwoven throughout the show, one of the most progressive being the depiction of a canon lesbian romance between the characters Ruby and Sapphire, of whom fuse to become the strong, yet soft-spoken Garnet, romantic relationships are not the focus. Steven is the character that literally embodies this idea of love — his mother gave up her physical form and ceased to exist so that Steven could be born — and it is through Steven that many of the characters on the show end up meeting in the first place. Steven eventually becomes this force more powerful than the physical powers of the Crystal Gems, this guiding light and beacon that is the backbone of the team. Intertwined with progressive relationships and impactful narrative storytelling, “Steven Universe” creates a fantasy world unlike any other that people of all ages can enjoy.

2. Gravity Falls

Inspired by the “Simpsons,” Gravity Falls creator Alex Hirsch realized that animated shows didn’t necessarily have to be just for kids. The show centers on Mabel and Dipper Pines, twins who are visiting their great-uncle in a mysterious little city in Oregon called Gravity Falls for the summer. As the Pines twins try to navigate being newcomers to a new town, inexplicable phenomena become apart of daily life. What appeals to the older audiences of this show is that it has a narrative flow rather than adhering to the episodic, non-chronological format that shows like “Spongebob Squarepants” tend to follow. The goofy comedic banter between the Pines twins is enough to keep viewers interested for a single episode, but it’s the overarching mystery of what the journals are and what their link is to the oddity of the city Gravity Falls that keeps both child and adult audiences hooked. Sadly, this show has concluded and is no longer on Disney XD, but it is definitely a show worth going back to watch.

3. Teen Titans Go

This show has a bad reputation, especially amongst those of us who grew up on the more dark and angsty precursor to this series, "Teen Titans."
Usually, when people talk about how awful this show is that they are comparing it to the old series. These are two COMPLETELY different approaches to the story. Yes, the old "Teen Titans" was great, but this new show is not a continuation, so it is unfair to try to judge them with the same standards. The new TTG is goofy, but at the same time, witty. They know that a lot of viewers are disappointed with the route that they took this band of superhero teens, and they address these concerns in the show in a comedic fourth wall jab episode appropriately titled “The Fourth Wall.” The show often pays homage to old cartoons of our childhoods. There is an episode from season three where the Teen Titans embody the Scooby Gang in an episode where the gang is randomly going to a theme park to watch LeBron James (yes, LeBron James the basketball player) play, but instead end up helping solve a mystery. Another episode in the same season titled “Hey You, Don’t Forget About Me in Your Memory” loosely follows “The Breakfast Club” as Robin convinces the team to go back to high school with him as he tries to achieve his dream of being the all-American class-president-type. Putting aside your feelings for the old Teen Titans, this new show takes the Titans and gives them a comedic twist, that I for one, appreciate.

Now, while some of you may not agree with all three of my suggestions, that is completely fine. Different strokes for different folks and all. However, it's time to give cartoons a chance again. Don't simply assume that any show made after 2009 is awful. Go watch an episode of "Steven Universe," or "Teen Titans Go." If you don't like it, that's fine, try watching some other cartoons. Just remember that these are just a few suggestions, these are not the only good cartoons left. There are still good cartoons out there, I promise.