3 Reasons To Not Fall For Your Best Friend

Losing my Best Friend

43
Reasons To Not Fall For Your Best Friend

Being a girl that growing up was the biggest tom boy you could imagine, I'm used to having a lot of guy friends. I always wanted to play football or go fishing instead of going to the mall or painting my nails. Being friends with mostly boys was never a problem until we hit high school. In high school, don't even think about being friends with someone of the opposite sex because everyone always always always accuses you guys of being something more. I'd be lying if I said that I was never curious about being something more. I dated my best friend from high school and honestly it was the worst mistake I could've ever made; and here are three reasons why.

1. I lost him.

After months of fighting and being separated from each other because of me being away at school, we finally decided to break up for good. Trust me, it wasn't pretty. The worst part was that because of that, we are no longer friends. This boy literally was beside me through everything growing up; he even taught me how to cast my first fishing pole. Now, we pass each other in a store or driving and we both shoot our heads down. We are strangers, trying to ignore the fact that we screwed things up for ourselves, and that's what hurts the most.

2. It's awkward.

Before we got together, he obviously dated other girls and I used to participate with our mutual friends in bashing his girlfriend at the time. Constantly busting his chops for getting haircuts exactly every two weeks or skipping fishing sessions to hang out with her. Now since we are broken up, our mutual friends don't talk to me anymore and it's sad because I know that they are now bashing me like we used to together. Also, you could forget about hanging out with any of those mutual guy friends because, of course, everything was all your fault when you guys split.

3. Not worth it.

Since losing him was so hard, I do regret ever making a move on my best friend. Don't get me wrong, we had some really great times together and made a lot of memories I'll never forget. I do genuinely wish that it had worked out, but I guess in my case it just wasn't possible. Maybe it was just our situation, with me being at school and him being home, that made it so difficult. But we didn't argue about things like that. We would argue about things like hanging out with other friends and not inviting each other or making new friends or having track meets and not wanting to come home every weekend to do the same things we always did.

I hope in some situations this really does work. My mom is constantly telling me before you marry someone you have to live with them. I live with my best friends at school so should I just marry them? I couldn't imagine living with anyone who wasn't my best friend so I feel like marrying your best friend has to work out! But in my one experience, it didn't, and because of that, I've lost someone that I loved not only as a boyfriend, but also and mostly as my best friend.