3 Reasons Why Older Generations Shouldn't Count Millennials Out

Millennials have so much more to offer than what older generations think.

12

Lately, I’ve noticed that older generations have been scrutinizing the Millennials because of our addictions to our phones, our laziness and our lack of knowledge of the world around us. Although somewhat biased, I feel like us Millennials have more to offer.

1. Tech Savvy

Although we are accused with being obsessed with our phones and tablets, it’s only the tip of the iceberg. Millennials are the technology generation and are being introduced to new technologies and are inventing new ones every day. The other day I saw a commercial for a fridge that links through an app on your phone and tells you what you have inside. Grocery shopping has never been so easy! Every day something like this is coming out and is changing the efficiency of day to day life. Millennials are the generation that are going to change everyday life but also going to put a man on Mars. There are no limitations to the millennials when it comes to technology.

2. Connected

Thanks to the multiple forms of social media, we’re more connected than ever. We can find our best friend from 2nd grade that moved away on pretty much any social media platform. Millennials have the best chance at keeping in touch with anyone we’ve ever meant. This means where ever we go, we might have an old friend there to grab dinner with or for a free place to stay. When we’re looking for employment we might be friends on Facebook with an old employer who knows someone’s who’s hiring. Also, we can now check in on Facebook to let our friends know we are safe when natural disasters or shootings are happening. If there ever were a situation that I was in and had access to Facebook, this would be the most efficient way to let family and friends know what is happening. Besides that, we’re able to watch our friends grow and be a part of someone’s life 1600 miles away. Our ability to make and keep relationships is unlike any other generation. When my mom yells at me for being on my phone too much and asks “Who could you even be talking to??” Oh mom, more people than you ever thought.

3. Aware

Popular to the belief that millennials have no idea what the real world is like, we actually have more information than some older generations do. Social media allows us millennials to know when something major has happened, the second it happens. I remember the bombing in Paris in November last year. I was on Snapchat and there was live video of what was happening. Minutes later there was information and it was being updated every hour. Instead of waiting for news stations to receive information, I was viewing it in real time. We are also more aware of environmental concerns, politics and worldwide happenings than generations previous to us. Millennials are constantly flooded with images and news of world happenings on Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat and many other social medias. It's almost impossible for us to not know something going on somewhere.