3 Lessons From Camping On The Guadalupe

3 Lessons From Camping On The Guadalupe

From a newbie camper

23
3 Lessons From Camping On The Guadalupe
Wikipedia

I spent this past weekend wondering "what the hell am I doing?"

I signed up for the OREC overnight camping-and-canoeing trip on the Guadalupe river. The Trinity bubble was beginning to suffocate me, and I needed an escape - even just a 24-hour break. The weather was supposed to be beautiful, and camping couldn't be too hard for a newbie, right?

The last time I had slept in a tent was over ten years ago on a family camping trip. It rained that whole weekend, and one night the torrential downpour carried off our tent... while we were in it. After this trip, my family bought an RV.

Even though I took part in Girl Scouts and summer camp, I never learned any the essential camping skills: how to set up a tent, start a fire, or paddle a canoe.

We left from the school Friday evening, arriving at our campsite after the sunset. I fumbled with my tent in the dark, somehow managing to set it up. Our group then collected firewood and cooked spaghetti over a small stove. We finished the night making s'mores, stargazing, and telling scary stories. The next day we took down our campsite and embarked on a 6-mile canoe trip down the Guadalupe.

Needless to say, this whole weekend was a learning experience for me. Here are the most important takeaways from the weekend:

1. You don't grow within your comfort zone.

As my boyfriend cheerfully said in the parking lot of Target, "You're getting out of your comfort zone! That's a good thing." Over the weekend, it didn't always feel like a good thing. My feet were cold, I had to pee behind a tree, and I shared a tent with a loud snorer.

But that's okay! It's good to be uncomfortable sometimes - those are the best moments to learn. I learned that both cozy socks and earplugs are camping essentials, and how to successfully use the bathroom outdoors. Pro tip - find something to hold on to and squat.

By exposing myself to something I wasn't comfortable with, I got to discover, learn, and grow - the Trinity motto. The next time I find myself camping, I'll be better prepared, and I'll probably enjoy myself more.

The lesson applies outside of camping too - you can't grow if you remain inside your comfort bubble. Reach beyond what you know and you might surprise yourself.

2. Camping teaches you practical skills.

If the zombie apocalypse was to happen tomorrow, I would be the first to die. Before this trip, I had no idea how to pitch a tent or start a fire or apply first aid without a kit. I'm not a wilderness expert now, but at least I know how to do these basic necessities.

If I'm ever in a sticky situation where I need to administer first aid or find shelter, hopefully, these skills will come to mind. After realizing how little I know about survival, I want to learn more. This simple overnight trip has sparked a curiosity in me to learn as much as possible.

3. Man-made beauty will never defeat natural beauty.

Trinity University has a remarkably beautiful campus - most of that beauty comes from the incredible landscape work. The campus grounds are wild but not crazy, and its beauty draws in both human visitors and wildlife.

Yet, Trinity's beauty doesn't compare to the beauty of the Guadalupe. Limestone cliffs, spotted deer, exquisite silence - so peaceful. At night, we could see the silver ribbons of the milky way weave across the sky.

Occasionally, you need to escape the gray of the city to experience the lush green of the countryside. There's no better medicine than fresh air. Texas has so many wild landscapes to explore; it's a shame to spend a beautiful weekend inside.

I'm no Survivorman, but this weekend has sparked a love for the outdoors. Trinity students, if you have a free weekend coming up, or if the weather promises a beautiful weekend, see if OREC is sponsoring a trip! If not, get a group of friends to explore the Hill Country!

When you get back, tell your shower and bed how much you appreciate them. Then, get ready for the next adventure that comes your way.