27 Ways To Live A Greener Life

27 Ways To Live A Greener Life

An eco-conscious lifestyle is simple, fun, and creative.

180
27 Ways To Live A Greener Life
HDWallpapers

Are you consciously aware of how much unnecessary waste you produce every single day? The incredible amount of plastic waste that we go through daily is detrimental to the well-being of all living organisms on this planet that we collectively call "home." However, there are easy ways to make lifestyle changes that will ultimately reduce your personal carbon footprint; the best part is, these eco-friendly changes are fun to make! Listed below are 27 ways to live a greener life; I challenge you to incorporate a few (or all!) of these ideas into your daily routine.

1. Shopping totes

Bring your own reusable canvas tote bags to the store so you don't have to leave with plastic bags.

2. Start a compost pile

A compost pile is a great way to keep produce scraps out of the garbage by re-purposing their nutrients back into the earth.

3. Cloth towels

Rather than using paper towels, make it a habit to soak up spills, clean the house, or dry things off with cloth towel that can be used year after year.

4. Fill your own water bottle

Stop buying plastic water bottles, and start filtering your own water that can be poured into a stainless steel bottle that can be used repeatedly.

5. Bamboo toothbrush

Next time you need a toothbrush, buy one that is made from bamboo. This environmentally-friendly option is a great switch for the planet and your teeth because bamboo is able to decompose when thrown away, plus the bamboo is safe to have on a toothbrush due to its antibacterial components. Between the bamboo base and bristles made from castor beans, you can feel good about changing out toothbrushes every couple of months now that you aren't using one that is composed primarily of plastic.

6. Bee's Wrap

Plastic wrap and plastic baggies are common kitchen necessities that typically only get used once before they are thrown away. Since plastic can never be broken down, all of the plastic baggies and wraps are continuing to pile up in landfills. One amazing way to combat this waste is by using Bee's Wrap, a reusable wrap made from organic cotton, beeswax, jojoba oil, and tree resin. Sealed by the heat of your hands, Bee's Wrap can be used to wrap fruits, vegetables, slices of cheese, or sandwiches in place of a plastic baggie. Furthermore, Bee's Wrap replaces plastic wrap as it can also be used to cover the top of a plate or pan. The wrap is rinsed with cold water and dish soap after each use and then given time to air dry prior to the next use.

7. No plastic utensils

Never, EVER use plastic utensils; always be sure to use real dishes and silverware when possible.

8. Use glass containers for leftovers

Use glassware rather than plastic containers because glass will last longer than plastic and lacks all of the component of harmful chemicals. If the glass ends up breaking, then you can recycle it!

9. Plant-based straws

Replace your plastic straws with straws that are made entirely from plants.

10. Diffuse oil

Diffusing oil is a healthier way to make a room smell nice without introducing toxic chemicals into the air through room sprays or wall plug-ins.

11. Change razor blades, not the entire razor

Keep one razor and change the blade instead of using disposable razors.

12. Cloth pads and silicone menstrual cups

Washable and reusable, cloth pads and silicone menstrual cups provide a way to produce less waste while on your period.

13. Make your own face wash and toothpaste

By making your own organic face wash or toothpaste, these products will no longer contain plastic microbeads. This is a better choice for the environment because the plastic beads that found within most face washes and even some toothpastes are not biodegradable and end up polluting water systems and creating harmful hazards for the inhabitants of the water.

14. Purchase larger packages

Buying in bulk produces less waste since there are no individual sized packages. This way, you can portion out the preferred snack amount and store in a reusable mason jar or Bee's Wrap. Additionally, the bulk container can be reused as storage once the food is all gone.

15. Buy secondhand clothing

16. Bring your own container for leftovers

17. Donate items you no longer want or need

One person's trash is another person's treasure. Don't throw objects away!

18. Walk or ride your bike

19. Carpool

If you cannot walk or ride a bike to your destination, then carpool to reduce your carbon footprint.

20. Start a garden

21. Remove nail polish using a washcloth or brush

Instead of using a cotton ball or swab, remove nail polish with something that you can use time after time.

22. Open the windows

Open the windows to catch a fresh breeze rather than turning the AC on.

23. Save packaging

Save packaging to reuse from purchases you have made so you don't have to get your own when needed someday.

24. Stop chewing gum

Chewing gum is made of plastics and rubber; therefore, it is unable t decompose once you are finished with it. If you can't lose the gum completely, try chewing on mints of fennel seeds.

25. Bring your own cup to a coffee shop

Bring your own cup to get your morning coffee or afternoon pick-me-up, and you will reduce the amount of styrofoam waste. An added bonus is that some coffee shops will honor a discount for those customers who bring in a reusable cup!

26. Buy locally grown produce

Cut down on transportation costs and support local farmers markets

27. Wool dryer balls

Add a few drops of essential oil to a set of dryer balls that can be used over and over again as an alternative to using dryer sheets that can only be used once per drying cycle.