25 Years Since Michael Jackson's Dangerous: A Review

Why this Album Will Remain Timeless

1269
Wikipedia

It's been 25 years since Michael Jackson's influential album by the name of Dangerous was released. Dangerous is my favorite album of all time. No other album can take that position in my mind. The album, in my opinion, is timeless and IF it was re-released in the year 2016, it will still sound fresh and new

Here is my review of Michael Jackson's Dangerous Album, song by song:

1.Jam

The first song on the record is a killer track called Jam. This song is one of the best openers on an album I've ever heard. The song starts with glass shattering, which reminds me of breaking boundaries, which is what Michael Jackson is known for. The song speaks in a sort of spoken word form, about social problems. But the subject can still find time to Jam, knowing that the injustices in the world won't stop him or her from doing whatever it takes to succeed. One of my favorites on the record.

2. Why You Wanna Trip On Me

This song, again tackles social problems in society. When this album was released in 1991, many problems were really starting to come to a head. And now, in 2016, I think this song is perfect. The song talks about how one should focus on the harsh realities of the world instead of celebrities eating out or tweeting or other mundane things. MJ is saying "why trip on me, when we have way more important things to deal with."

3. In The Closet

By far, MJ's most sexual song in his catalog. The song is a metaphor of tension of keeping a relationship hidden, or revealing it. It features a female whispering the intro and is 6 minutes of sexual tension. MJ makes this song even better by throwing in the line "Dare me" numerous times and his famous grunts and hee hee's. Such a groovy track.

4. She Drives Me Wild

One of two grossly underrated songs on the record. This is Michael's first dive into pop/rap fusion. The song is a dance hit. The sounds are all car sounds. Horns, engines revving, doors slamming. It's amazing to hear such ordinary objects turn into a great melody with a killer beat and vocals. PLEASE, check this song out ASAP.

5. Remember the Time

This song almost has a disco theme to it. MJ sings in a very low voice and really belts the vocals at the end of the track. His ad libs here are BANGIN'!

6. Can't Let Her Get Away

In my opinion, one of the best songs on the record, and the second grossly underrated track . Can't let her get away is one of the funkiest songs MJ has ever recorded. Michael even attempts to rap in the song's bridge, which makes me jam so hard. MJ knew how to rap! The song is super funky and will have anyone tapping their foot in no time.

7. Heal the World

This song is a true anthem. Simple beat. Simple words. He wrote it like that so people from all walks of life can sing the song. The song, written sometime in 1990, talks about coming together as one, turning "swords into plowshares" and drives home the fact the we need to heal the world for future generations

8. Black or White

This song everyone has heard at least once. We all know it to hear it. That driving guitar and the fiery bridge. A true Michael Jackson Classic: which takes a prominent topic (racism) and makes it a fun groove that any man, woman or child can relate to.

9. Who is It

I sometimes call this Billie Jean's long lost brother of a song. The beat of the song is Michael's beat boxing, which can clearly be heard as the track comes to a close. Paranioa and pain surround this beauty of a song.

10. Give In To Me

I can remember hearing this song when I was 3 and remembering the melody. It played on the radio shortly after his death, and when I heard it, I Immediately remembered it. A grunge rock song, featuring slash on guitar.

11. Will You Be There

A Gospel inspired track that brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it. It's my mother's favorite Michael Jackson song. The song starts off with an orchestral piece to set the mood, then goes to church on us with MJ belting the vocals with pure passion. The final poem at the end makes the listener think if someone is truly there for them

12. Keep the Faith

A cousin to Man in the Mirror. A super inspirational track that has gotten me out of hard times. Again, Michael takes us to church with this gospel track

13. Gone too Soon

This song, originally written for AIDS patient Ryan White, means more now than ever. With MJ's passing the song was used so much in the weeks after his death. This track I normally skip over, due to the fact that it makes me upset to think Michael is not with us anymore. Its a beautiful piece of music otherwise

14. Dangerous

The title track, and last track ends with a bang, just like Jam did! Sweet baseline and New Jack swing instrumentals make this a fan favorite among the MJ Fan community.

So, as you can see, I freaking adore this record. I hope and pray that this album gets rediscovered. I personally think its better than Thriller!