25 Things I Would Never Do

25 Things I Would Never Do

Never say never?

27892
25 Things I Would Never Do
pexels

We could all think of many things we would want to do, even some things we really wouldn’t do. However, could you actually think of a list of things you would never do?

Or, maybe you can automatically think of 100 things you would never do.

Except, can you really say never? I thought of so many never-s, then realized that I couldn’t really say I would never do something. I have no intentions or desires to do a lot of questionable things, but honestly if I really, absolutely needed to, I would compromise my morals.

My list took much more time than I had originally anticipated, but it was actually pretty fun to think of situations in which I may do something I thought I never would.

1. Allow anyone else to choose my future and goals.

My future is my own. Simple as that.

2. Stop my "out of the box" thinking just to cater to others' way of thinking.

Not every person thinks the same way and that shouldn't be a bad thing. In fact, we should embrace differences to gain perspective.

3. Intentionally hurt someone I really care about.

I would never want to purposely hurt someone important to me.

4. Just accept how some things are, when they could be improved with change.

“No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world”—Robin Williams as John Keating in the Dead Poets Society

5. Run a mile in under nine minutes… or even run a mile anywhere near nine minutes.

I know my limits

6. Lose interest in all things Harry Potter.

The magic will never end.

7. Also, stop obsessing over my cats and showing them off like a proud parent.

I am a cat mom and I am proud.

8. Lose my overactive imagination.

Creativity keeps me sane and pushes me to succeed in my own way.

9. Stop being adventurous.

I need adventures. They keep me curious to constantly feed my brain with new information. I thrive on change and love to go to new places or experience new things in places I have been many times.

10. Let anyone take advantage of my strengths and weaknesses.

I used to lack confidence in myself, especially in my abilities, ideas and intelligence. That wasn’t a healthy way to live my life, constantly thinking about the ways I might fail and listening to people who figured I shouldn’t waste my time and energy to even try. Now, I do what I feel is right and honestly, believe that my strengths have something to offer. I am aware of my weaknesses and make a conscious effort to improve.

11. Choose not to stand up for myself.

I am so tired of others assuming I am incapable or that I need to listen to what others want from me, without questioning their intentions or simply standing up for myself on matters I feel are wrong. I won’t stay quiet if I am being mistreated or misunderstood.

12. And not do my very best to advocate for others who need someone to support and motivate them.

Sometimes my job means trusting that a client is telling me the truth and not being manipulative. I don’t assume the mentally ill population lies a lot, like some others in the field, tend to assume. Their truth is their truth no matter what. At times, yes, they may be trying to manipulate a situation to get what they want, but most of the time if you build a trusting rapport with that client, they will typically be upfront and honest with you. However, my experience is also that most of the older counseling colleagues I come across have outdated ideas of how to help someone with a mental illness, who may be a bit more difficult than other clients. It is my job to stand up and advocate for my clients if I feel that they are being mistreated in some way. I refuse to allow my clients to be bullied by people they are told to trust.

13. End my irrational/slightly creepy love for Matt Damon.

Sorry, Dom…

14. Stop being a diehard fan of Miley Cyrus.

Say what you want about her, but Miley has always been whoever she wants to be. She comes off as a completely genuine person, and judging a young artist on their multi-phased careers just tells me that too many people refuse to accept that kids grow up and try out their own paths. They live and learn in their own way. Miley is no exception to that idea.

Plus, have you heard about her charity work? Or that she is passionate about animal and human rights?

Judge me, but I see an artist using her celebrity status to influence the world for good.

15. Act “my age”.

I’m 25, and I won’t even pretend to be a responsible adult. I have no idea what I want to do with my life or when I will get to that point. That doesn’t make me immature or irresponsible, it just makes me an unconventional adult. Whatever.

16. Remain complacent on unfair issues I may not fully understand, but always do my best to educate myself to learn and grow.

I refuse to allow ignorance get in the way of learning about issues that may not directly affect me, but are hurting so many others. No one deserves to be pushed aside and ignored.

17. Stop daydreaming.

Day dreams might become real life, so never stop dreaming.

18. Apologize for being myself.

I am awkward and strange, quiet and spacey, and that’s fine by me. If my personality and quirks aren’t for you, then that’s also fine by me. Just don’t expect me to change.

19. Refuse to apologize on petty issues that would compromise my relationships with people who matter.

I am a stubborn person, but being right is not more important than my relationships with friends, family or even acquaintances. We need to pick our battles that would be worth fighting, so choose wisely. If that means being the first to apologize, even if your actions were justifiable, then push your pride aside and make sure you don’t ruin friendships over your stubbornness.

20. Allow myself to limit my goals.

By thinking I may not be qualified to do some things, that just leaves me limiting my options for my future. If I’m not qualified, I’ll figure out how to become qualified. I will no longer say that I’m not experienced enough or knowledgeable enough to succeed.

21. Join the circus… probably.

I don’t like clowns, I don’t appreciate wild animals being caged and tamed for entertainment purposes and I just don’t see me thriving in the circus environment. So, yeah. I could honestly say I’d never join the circus.

22. Meet Robin Williams and have, what I assume to be, the best conversation in the history of conversations.

I will never get over the fact that he is gone. He helped me learn how to embrace my weirdness and my sense of humor. Robin Williams made up most of my childhood. I feel like we would have had ridiculous, yet intelligent, conversations, had we ever met. The likelihood of us meeting and speaking to each other when he was alive was almost impossible, but I held on to that tiny percentage of luck that we could have crossed paths.

23. Regret trying new things, whether I succeed or fail.

Don’t look back and have a list of “should’ve, would’ve, could’ve”.

24. Allow others to dictate my personal happiness.

I know it is easy to tell a person how they should live, but I am the only person who really knows what is best for me.

25. Stop loving those worth loving, and living life as I intend to live.

I value the people in my life and the time I have to enjoy so many things.

This list is made up of things I could honestly say I would never do, but they weren’t easy to think of.

What does your list look like?