25 Things To Master Before You're 25

25 Things To Master Before You're 25

As girlhood transitions into womanhood, these skills will come in handy.

383
25 Things To Master Before You're 25
Abigail Welsby

Growing up is hard to do. While every girl has her own path to adulthood, these simple skills will prove beneficial across the board.

1. Own interview attire.

Looking professional will help future employers see your potential. Don’t arrive in ill-fitting hand-me-downs or a wrinkly shirt; instead, acquire staples like tailored dress pants and tapered button-downs. If you’re on a budget, keep the colors neutral. That way, you can mix and match, meaning you’ll only need a few pieces!

2. Use sun protection.

It’s no secret that sun damage wreaks havoc on skin. Skin cancers like melanoma are dangerous to your health. Overexposure to UV rays also speeds up the aging process, leaving you wrinkly or leathery. Protect yourself by regularly using products containing SPF, even in the winter.

3. Learn to parallel park.

Depending on where you live, your experience with parallel parking may vary. Nevertheless, it’s a skill that everyone should master. You don’t want to have to pass up a perfectly good parking spot on the street in search of a pricy garage with a vacancy.

4. Find your favorite workout.

There are endless fitness regimens available. Try a few and decide your favorites. This doesn’t mean you have to limit yourself, but it’s helpful to find your preferences. You might think you hate working out in general, but maybe you just hate running. Try crossfit or yoga instead. Find what works for you!

5. Use under eye cream.

It may seem a little silly to be twenty-five years old and using anti-aging cream, but prevention is so much easier than repair when it comes to skincare. It’s never too early to prepare your skin for its inevitable changes regarding texture and appearance. Your older self will thank you.

6. Build (good) credit.

Credit gets a bad rep, but it isn’t necessarily a bad thing. In fact, you’ll need credit if you plan on getting loans for purchases like a car or a home. If you have any credit card debt, get it taken care of as quickly as you can. From then on, treat your credit card like a debit card – only buy things you can already afford and immediately pay the bill. Once you get in the habit, it becomes incredibly easy to control buying impulses.

7. Kick bad habits.

We all have bad habits, but they only become harder to break with age. Kick them to the curb now. Still smoking? Try nicotine patches. Always late for work? Try prepping the night before by picking out your outfit and setting out important items. Whatever your bad habit is, actively take measures to break it. The sooner the better.

8. Decide your interior aesthetic.

This is when that “dream house” board on Pinterest comes in handy! You most likely have experience living on your own and have some experience with interior decorating thanks to Craigslist and Target. It’s helpful to find a look that you like – rustic, modern, classical, etc. – so you can begin investing in long term, quality pieces of furniture.

9. Invest in a few quality LBD’s (little black dresses).

Weddings, bridal showers, baby showers, anniversary parties, and unfortunately funerals become more and more frequent as you get older. It’s helpful to have a selection of appropriate dresses on hand for these events. Throw in a few more scandalous LBD’s for bachelorette parties and nights out with the girls.

10. Learn your alcohol limit.

Your early twenties undoubtedly involved some experimenting with alcohol. Luckily, it doesn’t take too long to figure out what you enjoy and what makes you gag. Alcohol is often present at formal functions. Learn your limit so you don’t go overboard at work parties or family affairs.

11. Perfect your resume.

It’s important to keep your resume up-to-date, even when you land your dream job. It never hurts to have it handy in case of emergency. Look up templates online and find a format that looks professional and displays information in a clear, organized way.

12. Take care of your nails.

Fake nails have been making a comeback, but make sure you give your real nails time to breathe. Constantly removing the top layer of your nails leaves them brittle and susceptible to bacteria. It is important to pamper yourself with the occasional manicure, even if it’s just a simple clear coat. Having clean or polished nails looks much more put together than chipped paint.

13. Spend quality time with family.

Family time often becomes limited to holidays or special events. Prioritize time with family like you would a night out with friends. Make an effort to catch a movie with your cousin or grab breakfast with your grandfather. Making this a part of your routine will help you stay connected with the people who will be in your life forever.

14. Get your passport.

Maybe you haven’t traveled internationally yet, but you definitely want the option. It lasts for ten years and is cheaper if it isn’t needed in a hurry. You never know when your buddies will find a discount cruise to the Caribbean or want to take a road trip to Niagara Falls. Don’t miss out because you don’t have the proper paperwork!

15. Learn to walk in heels.

Not everyone enjoys wearing heels and that’s perfectly okay. However, there are a few occasions where heels are a necessity. We all remember the girls who stumbled around prom because they couldn’t walk in heels. It might have been acceptable for a teenager, but it just isn’t cute on a grown woman. Luckily, you don’t need six-inch stilettos to be formal; a sensible heel with some width to it is much easier to walk in and still looks elegant.

16. Remove makeup nightly.

No matter how tired you are the night before, take the time to remove your makeup. Your skin repairs itself overnight, but it can’t do that if your skin is covered. Buildup ages and damages skin; it can even lead to infections. If time is an issue, there are makeup wipes that are super easy to use and very affordable.

17. Organize files/financial records.

This is probably the least fun part of adulating. Bills are draining and taxes are absolutely dull. Still, it’s important to keep track of your financial records. Don’t leave it all electronic. Information can get lost in old e-mails and passwords can be forgotten. Keep W-2’s, insurance information, and account numbers safely stored in an organized place. You just need a few labeled folders and you’re good to go.

18. Be a cautious driver.

Hopefully you have zero experience with car accidents. Nevertheless, you’ve probably discovered that not all people are excellent drivers. Be defensive. Stay alert and realize that the people around you are capable of making mistakes. Avoid multitasking while driving and absolutely never text while behind the wheel. You and your fellow drivers will be safer for it.

19. Have a go-to deep conditioning treatment.

We all strive for beautiful hair, but sometimes the products that make our hair look good aren’t the healthiest for our mane. Have a deep conditioning treatment that nourishes hair back to health. Hair gets more susceptible to damage with age, so stay on top of your hair health by being proactive.

20. See a favorite artist perform live.

Attending a concert is such a unique experience. It’s invigorating to witness a singer or band you love perform right in front of you. It’s worth the investment when you can listen to your favorite album and think to yourself, “Wow this was incredible live”.

21. Print photographs.

We live in the digital age. Photos are regularly posted to social media, but it’s important to have at least a few physical copies. Frame photos of your favorite moments or have a photo album handy. It’s lovely to be reminded of your fondest memories even when you’re unplugged.

22. Invest in at least one quality handbag.

Some girls enjoy purses more than others, but everyone has a ton of stuff to carry from work to school to home. Keep your commute fashionable by investing in a quality leather tote or a beautiful designer purse. If you get one in a neutral color, it can pair with virtually all of your outfits. You carry things so often that it’s worth the splurge.

23. Have a few go-to meals you can cook yourself.

Not everyone is going to be a quality chef, but it’s important that every person has the ability to make at least a few dishes solo. I’m pretty limited to French toast, bean burritos, pasta, and tuna melts, but that’s still enough to sustain me when I don’t feel like going out or in the rare case of a zombie apocalypse.

24. Develop a daily skincare regimen.

I realize a lot of these are about skin, but that’s because it’s the largest organ of your body and it’s constantly exposed to the elements. It’s important to take care of it. Healthy skin is beautiful skin. Getting into a simple daily routine of cleansing and moisturizing will do wonders. It also makes your skin feel smooth!

25. Mentor those younger than you.

You’ve learned a lot in your twenty-five years. Navigating girlhood was by no means a walk in the park. Help fellow young ladies make their way by offering advice and letting them know that you once went through what they’re going through and you managed to make it out relatively unscathed. Staying in touch with those younger than you will help you remember what it was like to be their age – and how much wiser you are now!