25 Signs That You're A Grandma Trapped In A Young Adult Body

I'm not like most 20-year-olds.

573
Baddie Winkle

I'm not like most 20-year-olds. In fact, I often think of myself as a grandma stuck in a young body. I have more in common with people decades older than me than with my peers. It's hard to find a fellow teenage grandma. We're rare, but we're pretty awesome. How many of these traits do you have?

1. Shopping for sweaters excites you.

I own way too many sweaters. I have one for every occasion; bedazzled, wool, button-up...the list goes on and on.

2. You own several pairs of slippers.

The floors are too cold to walk around barefoot all the time. Sometimes socks slide on the floor and make me lose my balance. Every teenage grandma needs a nice pair of warm slippers with good traction.

3. Your cat is your best friend.

My pants are always covered in cat hair and I'm okay with that. Cats make life so much better. I'm a proud Cat Mom.

4. A good cup of coffee can drastically improve your mood.

I drink coffee to celebrate on my good days, and I drink it to feel better on my bad days. Sometimes we all need a little boost. A nice cup of joe always does the trick for me.

5. The internet confuses you.

I can handle the basics--Google, Facebook, etc. I feel like I have a pretty good handle on the internet most days, but sometimes I get completely lost. Webpages like Reddit, Tumblr and LinkedIn just don't make sense to me.

6. You're not up to date on the latest slang.

Maybe it's because I'm not an internet pro, but I come across acronyms and phrases all the time that don't make sense to me. Like, what the heck is a "juju on the beat"?

7. You love playing card games.

When most people hear "game night" they immediately think of xBoxes and PS4s. I think of poker. My game nights consist of playing Old Maid, Crazy Eights or Seven Card Stud.

8. You prefer to stay in.

"What are you doing this weekend?" is one of the most common questions students ask each other. I give the same answer every time: "Watching Netflix with my boyfriend." I can't remember the last time I wore anything besides sweatpants on a Friday night. That's the way I like it.

9. People your own age are too wild for you.

Every weekend I watch the drunk and hungry stumble past my apartment window. Although they're entertaining from a distance, I don't enjoy being around drunk people. My idea of a strong drink is a black coffee.

10. Your idea of "hanging out" means sitting and chatting.

I have a couple of fellow Teenage Grandmas as friends. When we haven't seen each other for a while, we make plans to meet up. We always end up at a coffee shop where we sit and talk for several hours. Sometimes we even watch TV together.

11. You have an early bedtime.

I'm not like those college students who don't start their homework until 1 a.m.. It's almost impossible for my eyes to stay open past midnight. In fact, I get excited when I get to go to bed early.

12. You're in a book club.

As a child I always dreamed of being in a book club some day. I joined one at the University of Minnesota and I love being a member.

13. You have a stack of novels beside your bed.

This shouldn't be surprising, considering #12. So many books to read, so little time. Reading before bed is so relaxing.

14. You listen to quiet, relaxing music.

Today's popular electronic dance music gives me a headache. I prefer the type of music you might hear when you're on hold with customer service.

15. You enjoy baking.

One of the main reasons I enjoy baking is because I get to eat whatever I make. Nothing beats a chocolate chip cookie fresh out of the oven.

16. You only buy comfortable shoes.

When I go shoe shopping, I think about comfort first and style second. High heels are a no-go.

17. You talk about the weather a lot.

I absolutely hate small talk, but I find myself engaging in it a lot. One of the first things I do when I wake up is check the weather report so that I can talk about it when there's a lull in conversation.

18. You're deathly afraid of slipping and falling during the winter.

Every winter I become this bundled up, slow-moving version of myself. I shuffle along on the ice because I'm haunted by memories of stepping wrong and landing on my butt. I admire the people who walk along without a care in the world. I will never be one of them.

19. You're always cold.

It doesn't matter how many layers I have on; I'm probably freezing. At night you can find me curled up under a blanket in a sweatshirt, shivering.

20. The littlest things make your back hurt.

Almost everything causes me back pain. I am in constant need of a massage.

21. You watch TV all day.

You know how most people have a couple of TV shows that they watch on a regular basis? I have about ten. Yet, my Netflix queue continues to grow.

22. You own a lot of jewelry you never wear.

I like the idea of dressing up, but the actual process isn't my favorite. Instead I have my jewelry on display so I can admire it from afar.

23. You hate trying new things.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is one of my favorite quotes. Once I've found something I like on a menu, I order the same thing every time.

24. Going out in public exhausts you.

There's so much noise, so many smells and so many people. Going out in public takes a lot out of me. Don't even get me started on Black Friday.

25. You frequently take naps.

Naps are a vital part of my life. I take naps on rainy days, when I'm bored, when my head hurts and between classes.

If you relate to at least 15 of these 25 signs, you may be a grandma trapped in a teenager's body. Welcome to the club!