25 Reasons Avril Lavigne Will Always Be Badass

Avril Lavigne is one of the most underrated good 'bad girls' there is.

1146
Jon Vilma

Avril Lavigne has always been a controversial icon. Her carefree persona, her swearing, and her occasional promiscuous behavior constantly cause media outlets to cast a negative light on her.

In reality, these things just make her human. Despite all of the hate and debate towards her, she continues to live her life as she pleases, teaching many valuable life lessons. Her confidence in herself is inspirational, hardcore, and straight up awesome.

Here are 25 reasons why Avril Lavigne always has been and will be a badass:

1. She stays true to herself.

Her style has changed over the years, but never once has she fallen victim to someone else’s whim.

2. She doesn't conform to stereotypes.

Whoever said that alternative singers have no personality besides angry have clearly never seen the peppy side of Avril.

3. She sings the feelings people are afraid to talk about.

In her songs, she talks about feeling lonely, unwanted, afraid, and about "Losing Grip," all feelings people try to ignore and hide away. She tells it like it is and says the painful words some people just need to hear.

4. She helped pave the way for other women in the pop-punk and alternative pop-rock scene.

Music from Skye Sweetnam, Kelly Osbourne, Tonight Alive, and Hey Monday, among others, are a direct result of Avril's work in the punk-inspired pop industry. She is proof that girls can rock just as much as guys can.

5. She doesn't feel the need to be "ladylike."

Just look at how she sits during interviews. You can tell how chill she is just by the comfortable and casual way she sits (not to mention the videos of her shoveling pizza into her mouth.) She's just an ordinary, carefree girl like the rest of us.

6. She can hang with the guys.

Avril Lavigne is the type of girl who seems to mesh with the guys better than with the girls, something a lot of people can relate to. Growing up, she even played on an all boys hockey team.

7. Like everyone else, she deals with health problems.

A few years ago, she was diagnosed with Lyme Disease and has had to struggle with the symptoms and mental health struggles that come with it. Even more props to her though because she struggles while in the spotlight.

8. Abbey Dawn, her clothing line, is full of cool clothes.

I may or may not still wear an Abbey Dawn hoodie that I bought in the fifth grade.

9. She's involved with multiple charities.

In 2010, she introduced her own charity "The Avril Lavigne Foundation," which aims to help young people with serious illnesses and disabilities. Throughout the years, she has been involved with Make Some Noise, Amnesty International, Erase MS, AmericanCPR.org, Special Olympics, Camp Will-a-Way, Music Clearing Minefields, US Campaign for Burma, Make-A-Wish Foundation, and War Child.

10. She's quirky.

Especially in her earlier years, videos and interviews show that Avril is just a regular girl who is trying to figure herself out. She wore some unique clothing that she has said she doesn't like anymore, the same as anyone does.

11. She always has some of the best music videos.

Watch one of her music videos then tell me that something like that isn't a video you pretended to star in as you danced around your bedroom.

12. Her tattoos are unique to her.

She has gotten a lot of criticism over the years for the amount of tattoos she has, who she gets them with, and for the one she got of the "F-word." She always stands her ground doing what she likes and ignoring everyone else's judgment.

13. She isn't afraid to be emotional.

A lot of times people hide away when they are going through something difficult, and many people are embarrassed to cry. Avril proves to be different by showing her emotions and allowing the whole world to see her with makeup streaming down her face and tears in her eyes.

14. She didn't show off her body to gain fame.

Unlike many other female artists of the early 2000s, Avril covered more of her body up than she showed off. She was even dubbed "Anti-Britney," which she disagrees with, because of her different approach to fame and fashion than other women during her early years.

15. She's a skater.

And who doesn't want to know how to skate?

16. She writes her own songs.

The fact that she writes her own songs not only adds more depth to her talent, but it also adds another dimension to the song. It shows that her songs and music are personal to her and mean something to her, rather than having someone write down false emotions for her.

17. And they're catchy.

You'd be lying if you said you didn't know every word to "Complicated" and that "Girlfriend" doesn't get stuck in your head for days after you hear it.

18. She can pull off green hair.

Name someone else who wears green hair as well as she does. I'll wait.

19. Her smile is contagious.

It isn't her blonde hair and blue eyes that are her most eye-catching features. It's her beautiful smile and laugh that can brighten up a room.

20. You name it, she can sing it.

Avril is a very talented, yet overlooked singer. She can sing with a weak vulnerable voice, yet she can rock out and radiate young punk energy to the crowd. This is a unique characteristic that makes her stand out from the rest.

21. She has lyrics for every occasion.

Falling in love, breaking up, losing a loved one, being cheated on, feeling unwanted, wanting someone— you name it and there's an Avril song for it.

22. She proves that you can be sensitive and not care at the same time.

A free spirit, Avril often doesn't care about the thoughts of others but, at the same time, she isn't afraid to show emotion. She possesses these two seemingly opposite traits, proving that you don't have to be a rock all the time, but many things aren't worth being devastated over.

23. She spreads hope.

Take one listen to "Keep Holding On" and your argument saying she isn't sharing hope is invalid.

24. She knows how to act like an adult without truly growing up.

Avril definitely has matured over the years in the way she acts and presents herself, but she preaches through her songs and her actions that we should never lose our roots or our fun spirit.

25. She defends herself, her creative choices, and everything that she believes in.

She never lets her critics get her down. After all, she is the self-proclaimed "mother f-ing princess."