25 "First Times" During Freshman Year Explained In Gifs

Just like Asher Roth, "I wanna go to college for the rest of my life."

44
Hip Hop Music Dot Com

You have waited your whole life for these four years and regardless of what you have heard about college, you do not really know what to expect. However, I am going to tell you to be prepared for the unthinkable! Hold on tight because your freshman year will not only be one of the most challenging, but seemingly somehow one to the best years of your life. There are going to be a lot of firsts and sometimes they are going to be things that are way outside of your comfort zone. These gifs described exactly how you will be in some of those "first time" moments:

1. The first time you realize that this is really happening:

Right now you are probably experiencing a bunch of emotions that are really hard to put into words and to tell the truth you are just happy you are finally going to college.

2. The first time you are on campus:

You have arrived on campus and you cannot wait to explore. Today is the start of the rest of your life.

3. The first time you meet someone new:

In college you will meet a lot of people and a lot of conversations will most likely be repeated, but always remember first impressions matter.

4. The first time you see a familiar face:

"OH MY GOSH! HEY!" Maybe it is someone you knew from home, met at orientation, or maybe even on a tour, but there is nothing better than seeing a familiar face in a not so familiar place.

5. The first time you miss home:

Waterworks, be prepared for waterworks. Depending on who you are it might happen in the car, it might happen in your room when you are unpacking, it might happen when your parents leave, it might happen when you get your first test back; regardless, it is going to happen! Be warned and be prepared!

6. The first time you have homework:

Homework = the most dreaded thing to ever come out of a professor's mouth besides "pop quiz." If you are anything like me you thought that the days of "homework" would be over after high school so fasten your seatbelt kids!

7. The first time someone ask you what you plan to do after college:

Chances are you know your major, but you do not exactly know what you want to do after college. A lot of people change their major or they just really do not know what they want to do the first year of college. Just make sure you have something prepared when the question is asked.

8. The first time you are late to class:

You start running, but you realize you did not really know where you were going anyway. Remember it is okay to be later once or twice, but do not make a habit out of it. Plus, you are a freshmen after all and professors realize that it is going to take some time to get adjusted to things around campus.

9. The first time you go to the Fraternity houses:

First off, just know you are going to look your best. Even though it might be your first time at the frat houses chances are you are not going to be just standing in a corner. If you are anything like me you are going to want to make friends and what better place to do that then out on the dance floor! (PSA: Know your limits. It is okay to prove you are a good dancer, but please remember this a frat house and people are going to appreciate the Nae Nae and the Stanky Leg more than 12 Fouettés and a Tilt!)

10. The first time you see that beautiful upperclassman:

It happens and believe me it is life changing. College is like the place where you can find beauty everywhere and even when you are least expecting it. For instance at 5:30 am in the gym or in the sandwich line at dinner.

11. The first time you come home for break and someone ask what you have been eating at college:

Let's be honest, there is no one to tell you what to eat or how to eat so you are going to eat anything you can get your hands on. By this point you probably have a few favorites and you are starting to gain a couple pounds, but that is okay. When people ask what you have been eating just be honest.

12. The first time you try to study in your room:

The library or anywhere besides your room (or your friends' rooms) is always the answer. Even if it is hard to admit, there are many distractions in your room and you will end up in your bed taking a nap.

13. The first time you ride with a friend:

It can be scary riding with someone new, but in college you really never know how good (or bad) someone's driving can possibly be until you are in the car with them.

14.The first time someone tells you a secret:

If someone is so comfortable with you that they can tell you secrets, you are making friends. You feel really accomplished right now.

15. The first time you do not understand an assignment:

Even though it is the first time just know it probably will not be the last. Take advantage of any opportunity in the library, with tutors, and any help sessions because they make a huge difference especially when you have no idea what is going on.

16. The first time you get sick:

Being sick sucks, but it is even worse when you are away from home. Make sure to make many phone calls, see the Dr. or even the school nurse, and take care of yourself. Also, if it is something that is not life threatening go to class! You will feel like you have been hit by a bus while riding your bicycle with training wheels to get ice cream, but a little TLC goes a long way in college.

17. The first time you go to a football game as a student:

Football is fun no matter what, but there is just something about actually being a student that makes it so much better.

18. The first time you hear someone say "I'm so fat!":

It always happens and nine out of ten times the person is not fat at all. However, being the good person that you are, you make sure they know that they are not fat!

19. The first time the A.C. goes out:

If you live in a dorm be prepared for anything! (Just as a warning a lot of dorms are run by an On/Off switch, so if the heat is already on you will not be able to switch back to cool and vice versa.)

20. The first time you get an A/A+ on any test or assignment:

It is not the easiest thing in the world adjusting from high school to college so you can not expect the classes to be easy! Make sure you study outside the classroom and get engaged inside the classroom to excel! However, whenever you make good grades, own them!

21. The first time you realize that you can not control everything that happens:

For me, this took a long time to realize. It is not easy giving it your all every day and not always knowing what the outcome will be. It is best to just sit back and enjoy the ride, because you are given only one life. In this moment, just take a deep breath and think about how thankful you are for what you have.

22.The first time you realize that these are the people you are going to be with for the rest of your life.

You will still be friends with some of your high school friends, but your college friends are a whole different story. You are going to be with these people day in and day out; they will see you at your worst and they will make sure that you are the best version of yourself that you could ever possibly be. There is nothing like the people you meet in college.

23. The first time you learn to love yourself.

24. The first time you have to use your own money:

Everyone loves to spend money, but in all honesty it is a whole lot easier to spend someone else's money than your own. So there is no easy way to say this: you have to start saving now. You will be thankful in the long run because you are going to have to pay back student loans, pay bills, and have mouths to feed. Eat at the dining hall for as long as you can. In college, using your own money becomes the usual thing, because your parents are not there and you are not just going to bum off of people. However, at the end of the day you are going to make the most of what you have and "we gon save dat money."

25. The first time you survive Finals Week:

You can never really tell how well you did on finals until after the grades are back. Sometimes you just know and other times you think you did well, but you might end up not doing as well as you thought you would have. Know that finals week is quite possibly the most emotionally straining week of your entire life and you are going to survive! You will be so relieved and so full of emotions.