25 Essentials For Your Emo Starter Pack

25 Essentials For Your Emo Starter Pack

From fishnet gloves to every "Fall Out Boy" album.

10317
25 Essentials For Your Emo Starter Pack
aokiyuna

Middle and high school was rough for a lot of us. If you were anything like me during those trying times, you coped with it by ditching pink dresses for dirty converse and hair dye – lots and lots of hair dye. Perhaps right now you’re considering going full emo, or perhaps you’ve already gone through your emo phase, lived to tell the tale and are looking for something nostalgic. Either way, about 99% of the emo life is about the look and the music, so knowing how to pull off the style is essential. If you’re experimenting with the look and have absolutely no idea what you’re doing, have no fear. Let this article be your emo guidebook and check out the 25 things you’ll need for your emo starter pack.

1. Fishnet gloves

You actually pretty much need fishnet everything, but the fingerless gloves are a must. Bonus points if you have them in a variety of obnoxious neon colors in addition to black.

2. Black eyeliner

Lots and lots of it. I’m not talking about a cute, standard wing. I want to see those raccoon eyes.

3. "Splat" hair dye

You aren’t truly emo until you’ve purchased a $10 bottle of "Splat" hair dye and colored your hair something completely unconventional.

4. Black high-top "Converse"

These will be your go-to shoe. They match literally any emo outfit.

5. An extensive collection of "Fall Out Boy", "My Chemical Romance", and "Panic! At The Disco"

Of course, there are far more emo bands with great importance (except for Black Veil Brides, we don’t talk about that anymore), but everyone knows FOB, MCR, and P!ATD. They are the unholy trinity, if you will, of emo music.

6. A studded belt

Are you really emo if you don’t have one of these? Step up your game by also acquiring studded bracelets, studded sneakers, studded purses, and a studded soul, provided you still have one after going full emo.

7. Dark lipstick

Yes, even men need this. Makeup knows no gender in the emo look. It only knows darkness. If the idea of buying makeup at Hop Topic makes you cringe, stick only to Urban Decay and Kat Von D for a more sophisticated emo look.

8. A corset

You can’t possibly cosplay or be a Gothic Lolita if you don’t have a corset. If you’re not allowed to buy a real one (let’s keep it 100, they’re too expensive anyway), then buy a lace up shirt that looks like one.

9. Tripp pants

Sure, there’s chains and buckles hanging all over them and you’d probably get suspended for wearing them to school, but they’re baggy so they’re comfortable probably. I mean, I’m assuming.

10. Graphic leggings

Not a day goes by where at least one emo in this world isn’t wearing leggings plastered in Disney, anime, or some other crazy pattern.

11. A "normal people scare me" shirt

Even though you own literally everything on this list, you still need to make it perfectly clear that you are SO NOT NORMAL with a “normal people scare me” shirt. Literally, they make you cringe so hard.

12. Striped tights

Emos appropriate Halloween costumes on a weekly basis, minimum. The most basic way for you to do the same is to get yourself a pair of striped tights (sans revealing dress).

13. Rips/holes in literally all of your clothing

Emos wear things in layers. One does not simply dress for comfort every day in the emo life. Embody how uncomfortable you are with sunshine and joy by wearing layers upon layers of black and white patterns. Yes, even in the summer. You can’t show these layers off unless there’s a substantial amount of holes in your t-shirts and jeans.

14. Super skinny jeans

Preferably black, just like the color of what’s left of your soul. If they aren’t cutting off circulation in your legs and difficult to walk in, they aren’t skinny enough.

15. Skulls and crosses

You are nothing without a shirt that has a giant skull on it or something with a cross on it, never mind the fact that almost every emo you meet isn’t going to be a Christian. Skulls and crosses for everyone!

16. A spiked choker

Because nothing says “I’m emo and proud” like an actual dog collar.

17. A "The Nightmare Before Christmas" DVD

Halloween must be your favorite holiday. Jack Skellington is your god now. 50% of everything you own should profess your faith to the Pumpkin King. All hail Tim Burton.

18. Several black band t-shirts

The centerpiece of a casual outfit for an emo is undoubtedly a black band t-shirt. Be sure to get one with neon graphics to catch everyone’s eye so the whole world can see how edgy you are.

19. Rawr xD

Even I don’t know why this is a thing, but you need it. Sign up for your local Introduction to Emo Language course so you can translate it. Or just ask Google, that’s cool too.

20. A black beanie

When you’re having a worse hair day than you already are and your hair dye just isn’t poppin’, wear a beanie!

21. Vans

Because sometimes you just can’t wear Converse. Gotta switch it up every once in a while.

22. Crushed dreams

No one converts to emo “just because.” You must be an outcast with at least three to five crushed dreams. You didn’t choose this to be happy.

23. Rubber bracelets

This looks best when they go all the way up and down your arm like a tattoo sleeve. In the fall and winter, doing this eliminates the need for a sweater! Life hack!

24. Something checkerboard

It doesn’t matter what it is. It could be shoes, a hat, a belt, it doesn’t matter.

25. "Monster Energy" drinks

It takes a lot of energy to be emo, and for some reason, “Monster Energy” is the preferred choice. It’s not horrible, to be honest.

Sound like a lot? It is. It takes, time, dedication, and a lot of Hot Topic gift cards to pull off the emo look. If you’re really into it, though, it’ll all be worth it.