24 Of The Most Beautiful Quotes In Literature

Lines that will move, inspire and motivate you.

1311
Wikipedia

Below is a list of quotes that would make even the most skeptical reader want to pick up a novel or two. Some of the most beautiful lines ever written are contained in the pages of the novels below:

"We need never be ashamed of our tears." -Charles Dickens, "Great Expectations"

“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”-Mary Shelley, "Frankenstein"

"It doesn't matter who you are or what you look like, so long as somebody loves you." -Roald Dahl, "The Witches"

“The curves of your lips rewrite history.” -Oscar Wilde, "The Picture of Dorian Gray"

"She says nothing at all, but simply stares upward into the dark sky and watches, with sad eyes, the slow dance of the infinite stars." -Neil Gaiman, "Stardust"

“I took a deep breath and listened to the old brag of my heart; I am, I am, I am.” -Sylvia Plath, "The Bell Jar"

“What are men to rocks and mountains?” -Jane Austen, "Pride and Prejudice"

“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” -William Shakespeare, "Hamlet"

“In spite of everything, I still believe people are really good at heart.” -Anne Frank, "The Diary of Anne Frank"

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.” -L.M. Montgomery, "Anne of Green Gables"

“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.” -F. Scott Fitzgerald, "The Great Gatsby"

“And the rest is rust and stardust.” -Vladimir Nabokov, "Lolita"

I lie to myself all the time. But I never believe me.” “ -S.E. Hinton, "The Outsiders"

“I don't know if you've ever noticed this, but first impressions are often entirely wrong.” -Lemony Snicket, "The Bad Beginning"

“After all this time?" "Always...” -J.K. Rowling, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows"

“You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you.” -Jane Austen, "Persuasion"

“You're the only girl I've seen for a long time that actually did look like something blooming.” -F. Scott Fitzgerald, "Tender is the Night"

“I can't stand it to think my life is going so fast and I'm not really living it.” -Ernest Hemingway, "The Sun Also Rises"

“She is a friend of mind. She gather me, man. The pieces I am, she gather them and give them back to me in all the right order. It’s good, you know, when you got a woman who is a friend of your mind.” -Toni Morrison, "Beloved"

“You should be kissed and often, and by someone who knows how.” -Margaret Mitchell, "Gone With The Wind"

“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” -A.A. Milne, "Winnie the Pooh"

“I wanted so badly to lie down next to her on the couch, to wrap my arms around her and sleep. Not fuck, like in those movies. Not even have sex. Just sleep together in the most innocent sense of the phrase. But I lacked the courage and she had a boyfriend and I was gawky and she was gorgeous and I was hopelessly boring and she was endlessly fascinating. So I walked back to my room and collapsed on the bottom bunk, thinking that if people were rain, I was drizzle and she was hurricane.” -John Green, "Looking for Alaska"

This late age of the world's experience had bred in them all, all men and women, a well of tears.” -Virginia Woolf, "Mrs. Dalloway"

“So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be.” -Stephen Chbosky, "The Perks of Being a Wallflower"