22 Thoughts From The Middle Of A Work Shift

Maybe I should leave and get some food. Wait, I need this money to afford that, too...

6

Anyone who has worked a minimum wage job knows the struggle. Money is an essential part of surviving in today’s world, but sometimes it feels as though the lengths we have to go to in order to obtain it are absurd. How are you supposed to be a full-time student, and have a social life, and make money all at once? Maybe it happens during the lull between lunch and dinner when the same elderly lady always comes for a sandwich, or maybe it’s waiting for the copier to finish printing and stapling documents that drives you over the edge. If you’ve ever had a job of this sort, then these thoughts might sound familiar.

Have the hands on the clock stopped? Wasn’t it eleven o’clock a few lifetimes ago?

Yes! The bathroom is empty! Time to play games for a bit… oh no, footsteps… are those my boss’ shoes?? Time to go!

I wonder if anyone would notice if I just redecorated in here a bit. What if I hung a few posters, brought a couch… I mean, I already practically live here anyway.

Why is every piece of technology at least fifteen years out of date? Didn’t they say they just replaced this equipment?

Another shift? Are they insane? I do have a life outside of my job!

Maybe I should start investing in lottery tickets.

Do I have a wealthy uncle on some remote island who could leave me a huge inheritance?

There has to be something better than this.

Can I just live in a cardboard box without food?

But if I don’t start saving up now, I won’t be able to afford a pet after school, and I need one!

Would anyone care if I just took a quick power nap in that dusty corner?

I could totally do my boss’ job, right? I bet their salary is a lot better!

Of course I work here, why else would I know all the access codes and spend my afternoons lugging around boxes?

Oh no, is that the really chatty coworker? Please, no, not in here!

Look, I’ve worked here for literally so many months now. The “newbie” joke is really growing old.

I can’t wait to get home tonight and throw these shoes across the room.

Do I need to do anything after work?

Did I remember to lock my door this morning? What if someone breaks in and steals all my stuff? I don’t have anything worth stealing anyway.

Wait, a call for me? Who could that be?

Oh, I was supposed to meet you five minutes ago?

Maybe I should invest in a better planner…