22 Things You Need To Know Before Turning 22

Make sure you know these things!

17

You're 22. That's the age where pretty much the entire world agrees you're an official adult. You've graduated high school, probably graduated from college or are close. You've loved and you've lost. You've experienced a lot of life and probably learned a lot. Make sure you've learned these other things before your 22nd birthday.

1. How to give intentional compliments. 

You need to know how to make others feel special and loved! This will help in both your work and professional life.

2. The importance of tipping. 

Can't afford the tip? Don't go out to eat. These people work hard to make sure you have a positive dining experience.

3. Don't be afraid to sing in the shower or dance in the rain. 

Be yourself and don't be afraid to do what makes you happy.

4. Treat the janitor the same way you would treat the CEO. 

Everyone deserves to be treated with equal respect.

5. Don't forget to hug your parents goodbye. 

Be appreciative of everything they've done for you. Also, be understanding of them; they are watching their kid turn into an adult and it can be a very emotional time.

6. Don't ever stop saying "please" and "thank you."

Never stop treating others with respect!

7. Always take time to pet the dog or smell the roses. 

Life is about the little pleasures. Take time to indulge and you'll be so much happier.

8. Have a good, firm handshake.

9. Don't take anything too personally. 

Too many friendships have been ruined over small things. Don't let the little things make you too upset!

10. Forgive as much as possible. 

Life is too short to hold grudges.

11. The importance of watching the sunrise/sunset every once in a while. 

It's truly calming and makes you more aware of the beauty in the everyday.

12. Remember people's birthdays. 

Remembering someone's birthday can make them feel so special and forgetting it can make someone feel so insignificant.

13. Don't forget to celebrate the small victories. 

Yes, of course the big things are important! But, the small things are still worth celebrating.

14. Know how to sew a button. 

If your shirt has a little tear or pants need a new button, it's much cheaper and much easier to fix it yourself.

15. Know how to iron. 

16. Know the importance of wearing ironed clothes to work. 

17. Know to take responsibility for your actions. 

If you did it, then own up to it.

18. Know the importance of random acts of kindness. 

Give what you can, when you can. Don't ever underestimate random acts of kindness.

19. It's important to take care of yourself!

Eat your vegetables and floss your teeth!

20. Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself. 

If you think you're in the right, stand up for yourself.

21. Constantly be positive. 

Life truly is what you make of it. Be positive about things and you'll be happier.

22. Always the hardest working one in the room. 

Growing up my mom always told me:

"You're pretty, but you won't always be the prettiest one in the room, You're smart, but you won't always be the smartest one in the room. But, no matter what, you can always be the hardest working one in the room and that's what really matters."