22 Things You Need To Hear Right Now

22 Things You Need To Hear Right Now

From the fearless ladies that want you to hear them.

749
22 Things You Need To Hear Right Now
Jessica Neuwerth

I've always believed that there are very few things in life that can't be made better by a good inspirational quote. As a twenty-two year old woman in her second semester as a senior who is roughly eight weeks from being thrust into the world of paying back student loans, getting a job, and just in general figuring out what I want from life, I strongly believe that my situation is no exception. I'm at a time in my life where anxiety and stress and uncertainty play a lot larger of a role than I would like -- and I know for a fact that I'm not the only one.

Whatever you're facing, whatever you are feeling, and wherever you are going -- some positive vibes from some bad ass ladies can't hurt to help you out. It's okay to need a little bit of inspiration and encouragement every now and then. It's okay to want to laugh and google 'Inspirational Quotes' on a Thursday night after a shitty day when you are half way through a bottle of wine. (It has to be okay, because it happens more often than I care to admit.) If your life is perfect and everything is working out exactly the way it should be for you, then great. I'm happy for you. Put this list away for a rainy day. But if you're like me and things are starting to feel a little bit out of control, then here are some powerful words spoken by powerful ladies that are going to help you feel like your life is a little more on track. Or, at the very least, they'll make you smile. That fixes most things anyway, right?

So sit back. Relax. And enjoy some Life Advice.

1. "To be, in any way a positive contribution, that's all anybody wants to be. It's all I've ever wanted to be. I wanted to be an artist, be a mother. You want to feel that in your life you've been of use, in whatever way that comes out." - Angelina Jolie

2. “Great people do things before they're ready. They do things before they know they can do it. Doing what you're afraid of, getting out of your comfort zone, taking risks like that- that's what life is.” - Amy Poehler

3. "Becoming yourself is really hard and confusing, and it’s a process. I was completely the eager beaver in school, I was the girl in the front of the class who was the first person to put her hand up, and it’s often not cool to be the person that puts themself out there, and I’ve often gotten teased mercilessly, but I found that ultimately if you truly pour your heart into what you believe in—even if it makes you vulnerable—amazing things can and will happen." - Emma Watson

4. “I don’t like to gamble, but if there’s one thing I’m willing to bet on, it’s myself.” - Beyoncé

5.“Work hard, know your shit, show your shit, and then feel entitled. Listen to no one except the two smartest and kindest adults you know, and that doesn't always mean your parents. If you do that, you will be fine." - Mindy Kaling

6."Whether you come from a council estate or a country estate, your success will be determined by your own confidence and fortitude."-Michelle Obama

7. “Life is long, people change, I would never be foolish enough to think otherwise. But no matter what, nothing can ever be as it was. Everything has changed in a way that sounds trite and borderline offensive when recounted over coffee. I can never be who I was. I can simply watch her with sympathy, understanding, and some measure of awe. There she goes, backpack on, headed for the subway or the airport. She did her best with her eyeliner. She learned a new word she wants to try out on you. She is ambling along. She is looking for it.” - Lena Dunham

8. "I think that women who know who they are, are beautiful." - Demi Lovato

9. "The girls who were unanimously considered beautiful often rested on their beauty alone. I felt I had to do things, to be intelligent and develop a personality in order to be seen as attractive. By the time I realized maybe I wasn’t plain and might even possibly be pretty, I had already trained myself to be a little more interesting and informed." - Diane Von Furstenberg

10.“Is 'fat' really the worst thing a human being can be? Is 'fat' worse than 'vindictive', 'jealous', 'shallow', 'vain', 'boring' or 'cruel'? Not to me."I've got two daughters who will have to make their way in this skinny-obsessed world, and it worries me, because I don't want them to be empty-headed, self-obsessed, emaciated clones; I'd rather they were independent, interesting, idealistic, kind, opinionated, original, funny—a thousand things, before 'thin.' And frankly, I'd rather they didn't give a gust of stinking chihuahua flatulence whether the woman standing next to them has fleshier knees than they do."- J. K. Rowling

11."A true friend will go with the Instagram filter that flatters you."- Whitney Cummings

12. "When you are looking to meet someone, you are looking to settle. Because you are not looking for someone, you are looking for anyone." - Lauren Conrad

13."My point is, life is about balance. The Good and the Bad. The Highs and the Lows. The Pina and the Colada."- Ellen Degeneres

14. "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off." — Gloria Steinem

15."When the whole world is silent, even one voice becomes powerful."- Malala Yousafzai

16."Make 'No.' a complete sentence." - Amy Poehler (again)

17. "Whatever the problem, be part of the solution. Don’t just sit around raising questions and pointing out obstacles." - Tina Fey

18. "I guess I would say, it's okay to put things off until the very last minute as long as you know you've got them under control." - Karlie Kloss

19. "Don’t ever, ever, ever give up, because you’re here for a reason, even if it’s just to laugh at cats on the internet."- Jenna Marbles

20. "I want to quit. Not performing, but being a woman altogether. I want to throw my hands in the air, after reading a mean Twitter comment, and say, ‘All right! You got it. You figured me out. I'm not pretty. I'm not thin. I do not deserve to use my voice. I'll start wearing a burqa and start waiting tables at a pancake house. All my self-worth is based on what you can see.' But then I think, F*** that … I am a woman with thoughts and questions and s*** to say. I say if I'm beautiful. I say if I'm strong. You will not determine my story — I will."- Amy Schumer

21. "First of all, who cares if people hate you? There's always a guarantee that certain people will dislike you. There's never any guarantee that anyone will like you. So if anyone likes you at all, you've already won." - Chelsea Handler

22. "Being tender and open is beautiful. As a woman, I feel continually shhh'ed. Too sensitive. Too mushy. Too wishy washy. Blah blah. Don't let someone steal your tenderness. Don't allow the coldness and fear of others to tarnish your perfectly vulnerable beating heart. Nothing is more powerful than allowing yourself to truly be affected by things. Whether it's a song, a stranger, a mountain, a rain drop, a tea kettle, an article, a sentence, a footstep, feel it all – look around you. All of this is for you. Take it and have gratitude. Give it and feel love."- Zooey Deschanel

In full disclosure, there are at least 75 more quotes that deserve to be up here that I didn't think to include -- so I encourage you to seek out some inspiration yourselves, ladies. At the very least, it'll be some worthwhile procrastination for the next couple of hours -- kind of like this article.

It doesn't matter what gets you inspired, just get inspired. Because that is awesome and that is what matters.