22 Things I Am Thankful For At 22 Years Old

I'm given the beautiful gift of waking up, starting over, and conquering the world...

340
img.mp.itc.cn

1. My close family members

Mom, little sister, grandma and grandpa, my aunts, my uncles, and my cousins and my goddaughter - I love you unconditionally with all my heart no matter what happens, and there are days where I just look at all of you when we're in a room together at once, and feel so grateful to be apart of this family. You're the ones who have known me from the very start, before I was even "cool". You kept me and you will love me forever. That's just something incredible and huge.

2. My best friends

If you're reading this, you know who you are. I'm always excited to hang out and do stupid, weird stuff with you that might not make sense to anyone else. You get me. If I go a few days without seeing you, I start to get bummed out. You let me tell you anything, and no matter how strange and outlandish I can be, you still stick around. You are my ride or die, my best friend.

3. My boyfriend

I'm grateful that we started out as friends, then best friends. Everyday I am reminded by how fortunate I am to have a partner in crime like yourself. You bring me this unique sense of bliss, comfort, and overall happiness that I can't exactly put into words - and I'm a writer. I can see that you genuinely care about me, and I've never had that before until now. I don't know what I would do without you. I love you.

4. My education

I am so happy that I was able to graduate high school, and even go off to college. I'm proud of myself for getting onto Deans List two semesters, even with my learning disability, and working my bum off to prove that I deserved that kind of recognition. College is expensive, but I'm making it all worth it in the end. Some people do not have this kind of opportunity, so I'm glad to seize this chance that millions aren't able to take advantage of.

5. Having a roof over my head

Millions of people in the world are homeless, starving, sick, and are constantly on the look out for protection. It's the simplicity of having a roof over my head, a place to sleep, eat, and just rest - safe from the weather and from the crime that goes on in the streets.

6. Having a form of transportation

There are a lot of people that I know that still do not own a car. I look at it and remember that I am really fortunate to have this. Life without a form of transportation is doable, but it makes things more complicated and frustrating. I'm so glad I am able to drive from place to place, and it allows me to engage in various opportunities.

7. The luxury of technology

I have a really nice laptop and a smartphone. Those two things alone would be more than necessary in this day in age. There are so many people out there who can't even afford a phone, and find other ways to communicate with other individuals.

8. Affording medication

Even though anti-depressants are expensive, I am able to buy them each month because I have health insurance. I don't know where I would be without this medication, so I am eternally thankful for having this advanced form of medicine at my disposal. Some people can't have that sort of outlet for their mental health and have to suffer the consequences.

9. Experiencing the joys of concerts

I can't imagine not going to any concert through the entirety of my life. Concerts are something that everyone should experience, no matter if you're a fan of crowds or not. I've been to numerous shows, more than I can count on my fingers - so that's pretty damn cool.

10. Having a goal in life

There are so many things that I am passionate about, and that I want to achieve before I leave this earth. I have to remember that there are so many individuals who don't know what they want to do, or feel stuck or lost. I've known that I wanted to be a writer since I was a little girl, so it's been easier for me to jump ahead.

11. Having good health

Besides having a mental illness, I am physically healthy. I am not sick, I am not dying, and I am an overall average, healthy human being. Sometimes I take advantage of that, but I want to change my perspective. I'm hoping it'll make me a more humble person.

12. Breathing fresh air

Something as simple as breathing fresh air is a reason to feel thankful.

13. Literature

Sylvia Plath, Robert Frost, T.S. Eliot, Hawthorne, Kate Chopin, June Jordan - I don't know where I would be without these incredibly talented writers. I'm so happy I can escape reality and delve into the world of poetry, narratives, short stories, anything. I can simply pick up a book, and snap - I am off on another planet.

14. Music

I have a turntable that I can listen to records on, and my phone and laptop let me explore trillions of genres of music. It's almost infinite, and I have that luxury.

15. Employment

I'm so grateful to be able to make money so I can pay for grown up things like rent, my car, and college.

16. Learning from my mistakes

This one kind of goes along with #18. One of the most rewarding feelings is learning from my mistakes, and take it as a lesson in this crazy thing that my generation likes to call "adulting".

17. Access to coffee... and more coffee

This one is pretty much self explanatory.

18. Gaining wisdom with age

One of the most satisfying things is recognizing how you're maturing, changing, and learning from mistakes as you get older. I'm happy that I'm actually learning from my screw ups, that I'm willing to change, and taking into account the lives of other people besides myself. It's very rewarding.

19. Having a good memory

Memories are wonderful, beautiful things. I am grateful to have a snap-shot memory so I can look back and reminisce in the most sentimental and nostalgic way possible - just giving me all of the feels and taking me to another good time.

20. Money in the bank

Even a few dollars is something. It's important to remind yourself that there are so many strangers out in the world who have nothing and are wandering the streets for change, or are involved in dangerous situations just to obtain at least a little bit of cash. If you don't have to do anything illegal or scary to get money, then you're doing just fine. I'm doing just fine.

21. Having freedom of speech

I am an individual, and no matter what, we're all given that special opportunity at the end of the day to speak our minds and express ourselves in a unique way that is all our own. What's more rad than that?

22. Waking up everyday

Each morning, I'm given the beautiful gift of waking up, starting over, and conquering the world.