22 Life Lessons That Disney Movies Taught Us

Without us realizing it, Disney films have provided life lessons since day one.

1608
The Walt Disney Company

I have always loved Disney films. As kids, my sisters, cousins and I would sit down in our basement, in the dark, for hours on end, watching movies like "The Lion King," "Toy Story," or "Cinderella." I never really thought much of them other than entertainment and sing alongs, but as I get older, I realize the lessons Disney puts into thought within each film. Disney movies very much can apply to everyday life.

1. Family is the most important thing.

"Lilo and Stitch" might have been about an alien finding his way through Earth, but the bigger picture is that family comes first and is the most important thing in our lives.

2. The best way to look at the past is learning from it.

Rafiki might have come off as insane, but he is right about learning from the past, rather than holding a grudge or worrying about it. Walt Disney himself would have encouraged anyone and everyone to do the same.

3. Never judge a book by its cover.

As a college student, I now realize the talents, personalities, and kindness within everyone. Little did I realize that "Aladdin" taught me this before any experiences of not just seeing what's on the outside.

4. Believe in yourself, even if no one else does.

"Hercules" felt alone and that he didn't know what he wanted to do. Luckily, he had the mindfulness to find himself, even if it meant going the distance.

5. Follow the dream you have in order to make it a reality.

Going out of your comfort zone can be hard. Walt Disney taught us to believe in making a dream a reality. Rapunzel did this very thing, and her dream came true.

6. We can’t just talk about doing something, we got to actually do it.

Ariel finally pushes herself to stop talking about becoming a human and finds her way into our world. If we have a thought that has potential to become a true reality, we should just go for it. Nothing hurts when you are trying.

7. Choices might be hard to make, but we end up with right one.

We make a lot of choices in life. For some reason, the choice we make ends up always be the right one, even if it isn't technically the good choice. If it's a bad one, the lesson learned is more important than anything.

8. Labels do not define you.

Whether we believe it or not, it isn't the labels given to you that define the kind of person you are. Instead, Disney focuses on how others are treated and what it means for you as a whole.

9. Family will always love you no matter what.

Anna and Elsa prove that family loves you no matter what, especially after finally understanding why they did what they did to you. Family love is a bond like no other, and it allows us to grow as people.

10. Take an adventure and don’t look back.

Take an adventure, don't worry about life, and find the journey life has provided you with. Once you begin, never look behind on the things in life that bother you. Experience life to the fullest.

11. Sometimes it’s better to put others before yourself.

Olaf is one example of someone who unconditionally puts others before himself. Disney has taught us to do the same. It is both mentally and physically healthy for someone to think about others before themselves, only after making sure he/she okay.

12. Don’t forget the person you truly are inside.

Mufasa came to Simba reminding him that in order to be the best he can be, Simba must remember who he is and why. In life, this is relatable to the sense that we do the things we do because of who we truly are inside. The talents, gifts, and approach to everything all come from the core self as human beings.

13. Have faith in whatever that might be for.

Faith gets people through a lot. It's something that holds us in there while everything might be going downhill.

14. Home is where the heart is.

Wherever you are, whenever you are, home is where you feel most welcomed at. Home might not be a place always.

15. There’s always light at the end of a dark tunnel.

Every Disney movie has it's dark moment because that's what all stories have. However, there's always a character that shows the light until the end of the darkness. That is how life is, I believe. You may be in a dark place at some point or another, but do not worry, because there is always a shining light somewhere down the line. It gets better.

16. If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything.

This is simple. If you are thinking something mean, don't say it. That will ruin your day and the other person's day.

17. Focus not only on the past and present but really look at the future.

Moving onto the next chapter in your life can be hard, but what makes it easier is keeping the memories and creating the new ones with it. Focusing on the past creates a barrier of not letting go, which can make it harder for someone to have fun in the present and future. You never know what will become of something.

18. You don’t have to rely on fate, in order to make your destiny.

Sure, there's waiting for fate to tell you what is next, but why do that when you can decide instead? The universe isn't the only thing that chooses your life. Actually, you can change the course depending on how you portray it.

19. There’s always a way to have fun, even if something has to get done.

Mary Poppins created a game for cleaning up. I find a way to compare anything I learn to a Disney film, which works more than you think. There are ways to have fun while working, especially to get a job done in a better way.

20. Love is louder.

Looks, how others think of you, and much more might be how another ends up looking at you. However, when you find the love that you have for someone, that is what really matters. Love conquers all, it is definitely louder.

21. Teamwork makes the dream work.

A hero and his/her sidekick(s) always have an issue and a way to solve it eventually. This isn't done without the quality of teamwork. In order to get the job done, "A Bug's Life" taught us that even though there are many, we are one to accomplish the same goal.

22. Not all heroes have to wear capes.

All heroes in Disney films are typically not wearing capes, because that would be strange, right? But it's true what this lesson has taught me. Every single Disney movie has a hero, who learns how to save the day. In reality, this is true for the world. Doctors, firemen, police officers, soldiers int he military, and many more people don't wear capes. These are the people who save our lives, protect us, and fight for the lives we are able to have. These are the true heroes.

From Your Site Articles