Since I just turned 21 I thought it'd be a good idea to reflect on the things I've learned over the years. To some 21 might not seem very old, but me I feel like I've been around much longer because of all of the lessons I've learned throughout my life. So I'm here to share my words of wisdom with you by compiling this list of 21 things I've learned over the past 21 years of my life!

1. You're going to lose friends

But you'll make even better ones along the way.

2. Always say yes to dessert

If someone offers you dessert after a meal, take it! One piece of cake isn't going to ruin your body. Just don't eat it every day.

3. Who you were in high school isn't important in the big picture

when I was in high school I was told to appreciate it because those are the best years of your life. I hated high school because I was shy and felt left out, but once I went off to college I flourished into the person I am today.

4. Others' opinions of you don't matter

I used to be so self-conscious about how others would perceive me, but then I realized people that don't know me don't matter and people that matter don't care.

5. Quality over quantity

Having strong relationships with a handful of friends is way better than having a big group of friends you feel like you can't go to for help.

6. Makeup is unnecessary

I've never really been a fan of makeup, so over the years I've learned people will think you're beautiful with or without makeup, so let your natural beauty shine!

7. Self-care is key

Always make time for yourself. You can't take care of the rest of the world if you don't take care of yourself.

8. Write down your thoughts

Even if it's just what you did that day, write it down. It's always fun to look back at old things you wrote.

9. Family is important

You're not always together, but family is so important. They are the only people that'll support you no matter what. No matter how far away they are, they'll always care about you.

10. Get off your phone

I can't stand it when I'm hanging out with someone and they're glued to their phone. When we are around people we should focus on the time we have with them, instead of being preoccupied with whatever interests us on our phones.

11. Travel, travel, travel

The saying goes "when you're young you have the time and energy to travel, but not enough money, and then when you get older you have enough money and time, but not enough energy, so travel as often as you can while you still have that adventurous spirit and unlimited energy in you.

12. Somebody always has it worse

Yes, somebody will always have it worse, but that doesn't mean your problems aren't important. Remember this, but don't let it stop you from reaching out for help.

13. Know how to cook

When you move out on your own it's essential to know how to cook. Trust me, you don't want to have to eat frozen dinners and canned ravioli the rest of your life. You should at least know the basics, but feel free to explore the cooking world. there's so much to learn!

14. Counting calories isn't worth it

Being healthy is important, but counting calories can be so stressful and just isn't worth it. As long as your eating the right portions and a variety of food groups that's all that matters.

15. Changing your mind is acceptable

We're only human, so it's expected that we change our minds sometimes. Sometimes it's about small things, while other times it's about big life decisions. Either way, don't be afraid to change your mind.

16. You're still your parents' baby

Even though I'm 21 I still talk to my parents almost every day and they want me to call them when I get home or to tell them what my plans are for the day. No matter how old you are your parents will still look at you as their baby.

17. Take risks

We never regret the risks we take. We only regret the ones we let go. Yes, they may be risky, but they come with great accomplishment.

18. Don't stretch yourself too thin

Always remember to put yourself first. I'm not saying to act selfishly around other people. I'm saying to put your own energy and time into things that you care about and always remember to take some time for yourself.

19. Follow your passions

You're going to be on this earth for quite a while, so spend your time doing something you're passionate about. Go into a field you love, no matter what the pay is. If you enjoy what you do money won't matter.

20. Be open minded

The world has become so diverse, so it's important to be open-minded to other people's opinions because you never know what you'll learn along the way.

21. Your life is what you make of it

Last, but not least, this is YOUR life, so make it what you want it!

These are the most important lessons I've learned so far in my 21 years of life. I hope everyone can learn from the lessons I've encountered.