Saying Hello To Life As A 21-Year-Old

In just a few days, I am going to be twenty-one years old.

That's right. Twenty. One. Years. Old. FINALLY! It is a day that I have long been waiting for, one in which I know will be filled with shenanigans with friends and the making of memories—memories that I hope I will actually be able to remember.

One commonality I have noticed from almost turning 21-years-old is the immediate reaction I get from others who are already over the age of twenty-one. The number one thing I hear is "Being twenty one really isn't all that great." Huh. So, if your experience being twenty-one hasn't been all that exciting for you, that means my experience as a twenty-one one is going to be just as lame, right? WRONG!

I think people like to respond that way because they're entrenched in their own negativity from the problems of their daily life. I also think they may have held their expectations a tad too high – and I'll be clear, I don't think that my 21st birthday is going to be a life-changing day where I finally discover my life destiny and bloom into a perfectly successful adult who isn't working three part-time jobs just to pay for bills. However, I am incredibly excited to be twenty-one for so many reasons, reasons such as:

1. I'll be able to go to 21+ concert venues
2. I can enjoy mimosas with brunch downtown on a summer morning
3. Buying myself wine for Wine Wednesday… and Wine Thursday… and Wine Friday….
4. Finally experiencing a karaoke bar
5. Summer baseball games and beers with my dad
6. Exploring the world of wine tasting
7. Toasting to my brother with champagne at his wedding
8. Margaritas with my mom at our favorite restaurant

And those are just a few reasons that I am excited to be turning 21. So for anyone else that is nearing their twenty first year of life, don't let anyone tell you to not be excited. You live in the moment, you take in the fact that you made it, you're about to legal, and there is no one that can stop you from having a great time, and ENJOYING it. And tell the people who tell you not to be excited that they should try to remember turning 21 too, it's a year to let me explore and learn more about myself, and I absolutely can't wait to celebrate my 21st with my incredible friends and family.

Cheers to twenty-one years.