21 Things I Wish I Could Tell My Younger Self

As I take another trip around the sun, here's what I've learned.

23
David Bell

Dear younger David,

You're turning 21 this week. Congrats! Here are 21 things I've learned that I wish I could tell you.

1. There's never a bad time for cereal.

2. People will come and go in your life. Let them.

3. The occasional buffet trip isn't going to hurt you. Go back for seconds.

4. People will hurt you eventually. Continue to love them.

5. Don't be too prideful to ask for help when you need it.

6. Breaking up with your high school girlfriend will feel like the end of the world. It's not.

7. People are watching your every move to see how you react to situations.8. Emulating the temperament of Christ is tough, but it is worth it.

9. Mom and Dad will be a big help long after you graduate high school and you will need them.

10. Once you find good friends who push you closer to Christ, hold onto them tightly.

11. Don't pretend to be someone that God didn't create you to be. You serve a purpose just being yourself.

12. Sometimes you're not going to be able to control situations. It'll be frustrating but that's one of the many reasons we need God.

13. Knowing of God and knowing God personally are two very different things.

14. You're not going to understand everything. Don't try to. Trust that God is all-knowing.

15. There will be days you don't feel appreciated or needed. Remember that God is El Roi, the One who Sees. He notices your work.

16. There will be days you feel like you can't go on. Keep going anyways. Remember the early church and how they persevered through trials.

17. Find your passion and then figure out how to get paid for it while glorifying Christ through it.

18. You're going to be hurt a lot. Run to God with your pain.

19. Don't forsake your friends for money or a job. They'll be there long after you retire if you're good to them.

20. Make sure you can back up what you say with actions that reflect your words.

21. At the end of the day, when you feel like everything you know is gone and you're all alone, remember that God has got you.