21 Thoughts Every College Student Has at the Beginning of the Semester

The days of long naps and home cooked meals are over...for now.

1149
Madeline Raineri

As the great winter break of 2015-2016 rolls to a close, college students everywhere start dragging themselves out of their childhood beds and back into the real world semi-real world of adult-ing. As the new semesters begin, if you listen close enough you might hear a collective groan rise up from nearly every 20-something whose dreading going back to class. Here's 21 thoughts every college student has at the beginning of a semester:

1. Why, oh why, did I convince myself this 8 a.m. wouldn't be horrible?

Nothing like walking to class in sub-zero temperatures at 8am!

2. Wondering if the teacher will actually take attendance this upcoming semester like they said.

Because clearly I've got more important things to do than go to class (sorry mom and dad).

3. During syllabus week calculating exactly how long it takes to get to class so you can wake up as late as possible.

Realistically we probably all need this alarm clock that requires both feet on it in order to turn off.

4. Being undeniably distraught because you picked a small, private university that doesn't go hard for syllabus week but still seeing all of your friends fun posts from state universities.

At least I'll be getting my full eight hours of sleep?

5. Trying to re-adjust to small dorm beds and crappy food after having a luxurious month back home.

You know what bad food means? Ending up in your small bed eating McDonald's at 10pm because you only had one mini corn dog at the school's cafeteria.

6. Also re-adjusting your body to the amount of take out that will be consumed between the start of the semester and the end.

Mom: Where does all of your money go? You have everything you need on campus!

Me: I spent it on something...useful.

7. Feeling the overwhelming need to claim a seat next to your friends in class.

Then every day from there on out you walk into class feeling like Mclovin.

8. Trying to gauge whether or not your professor will be strict.

Ratemyprofessor can only get you so far because like, what if your personality doesn't mesh with your professor's?

"After all this time? Always." R.I.P. Alan Rickman.

9. Being tired of coming up with useless fun facts about yourself by the end of the first class.

There's only so many times you can stand in front of a class and try to convince them that your dog breaking her leg twice is a fun fact.

10. Trying to figure out exactly how much money you have to spend each week in order to properly plan when you can eat food out.

College bills be like...

11. Deciding whether or not to dress up and impress your classmates on the first day or introduce them to your homeless chic look right away.

12. Subsequently deciding that college is the last time in your life when it is publicly acceptable to dress like a bum so you might as well life it up.

13. Already fantasizing about spring break.

14. Scratch that. Who are we kidding? We're fantasizing about summer break already.

15. Scrambling last minute to even check what class you're supposed to be in.

Oh, class in ten minutes? What a pleasant surprise! Now, to get out of bed.

16. That horrible realization that you can't binge watch Netflix all day next to your dog because you're back at school.

Alright the binge watch Netflix part will still fly but you had to leave your dog at home.

17. Dreading every morning class because you know you won't have time (or motivation) to get breakfast before class.

18. Strongly debating between buying the textbook or not. Because after all, one textbook could equal one semester's worth of not being able to go out to eat.

19. Becoming familiar with the smart kid in class so they will help you with homework.

If you don't know the smart kid in class, then chances are that kid is you.

20. Finding your way around outside the class so you can pick the perfectly quiet restroom down the hall to waste time in.

I have a feeling the quote below was never used in this context.

21. Giving yourself a mental high five because you're going to make this semester yours!

So to all the college kids out there, enjoy these last few days/weeks of home made meals and a room of your own because all too soon, you'll be back at school. And as a word of advice for this next semester, remember: Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!f