21 Things To Do On Fall Break

21 Things To Do On Fall Break

How to make the most of your mini-vacation.

6518
21 Things To Do On Fall Break

Fall is finally upon us! The weather is perfect, the leaves are changing, and Halloween is right around the corner. Not to mention the glorious return of skinny jeans, boots, and flannels. Fall also means the promise of fall break. Make the most of your mini-vacation with some of these ideas on how you can spend your time over break this year!

1. Go to a haunted house.

Haunted houses are the perfect way to celebrate Halloween!

2. Visit a corn maze.

The corn maze is a traditional fall staple and a family favorite. However, if the idea of a corn maze sounds slightly boring to you, try a haunted one!

3. Carve a pumpkin (or paint one!).

Pumpkin carving is a classic fall activity! If you've never carved one before try these simple steps and you'll be a pumpkin carving pro in no time! If carving isn't your cup of tea, painting pumpkins is a fun (and cute) alternative!

4. Make caramel apples.

5. Tune into ABC Family’s annual 13 Nights of Halloween.

Check out this year’s lineup!

6. Visit a pumpkin patch.

Pumpkins = fall. Need I say more?

7. Go to the movies.

This October there are several blockbusters hitting the theaters. For a family-friendly film that is sure to satisfy all ages, I recommend "Pan"; the modern adaptation of the classic Peter Pan tale. For a fun Halloween-esque film, "Goosebumps" is the perfect flick! If you're interested in seeing an Oscar worthy performance then "Bridge of Spies," a thrilling Cold War drama starring Tom Hanks, is the movie for you!

8. Bake pumpkin pie.

Follow this deliciously simple recipe and you'll have all your friends thinking your the new Martha Stewart.

9. Go camping.

Not too hot, not too cold; October is the ideal month to go camping. Curl up in a cozy sleeping bag and enjoy the fall weather!

10. Make apple cider.

Not only does homemade apple cider taste incredible, but it also makes your house smell amazing! Once you've brewed it yourself you'll never drink store-bought cider again. Try these apple cider recipes and treat your tastebuds!

11. Host a bonfire.

Bonfires are a fun way to get all your friends together, and it's an excuse to whip out your favorite flannel.

12. Roast marshmallows and/or make S'mores! (I mean honestly, who doesn't love S'mores?)

No bonfire is complete without roasting marshmallows to make delicious s'mores!

13. Go on a ghost tour.

If haunted houses aren't your idea of a good time, a great alternative Halloween themed activity is a ghost tour! Most towns, especially larger cities, will have several ghost tours to choose from during October.

14. Have a "Halloweentown" movie marathon.

"Halloweentown" is the perfect Halloween flick for the whole family.

15. Roast pumpkin seeds.

Roasted pumpkin seeds are a festive fall treat that are extremely simple to make! Watch this video for step-by-step instructions on how to perfectly roast your pumpkin seeds.

16. Visit an orchard to pick apples (which you can then use to make your caramel apples of course!).

Visiting an orchard is a great way to get in the fall spirit! While you're there, handpick your own apples to use when making apple pie or caramel apples!

17. Make your own Halloween costume.

Store-bought halloween costumes are typically WAY overpriced. Tap into your creative side and make your own Halloween costume! You'll save money and it's fun!

18. Hike.

With the leaves changing, and the colors of autumn in full effect, October is a beautiful time to go on a hike and enjoy the scenery.

19. Splurge on tickets to a football game.

Fall break is in the midst of prime time football season. The weather is perfect to enjoy a game with family or friends!

20. Take a trip to your local farmer's market.

Farmer's markets always have the best fresh fruits and vegetables. Stock up on homegrown produce to make all of your fall meals that much more delicious!

21. Binge on scary movies on Netflix.

Netflix offers a vast selection of thrillers and horror films to get you in the Halloween mood! Some of Netflix's best scary movie titles include: "The Sixth Sense," "Insidious 2," "The Village," and "Oculus" (WARNING: if you're anything like me then you'll probably sleep with the light on if you watch any of these films).