21 Things My Mom was Always Right About

Your entire childhood and all of your youth, everyone has always told you to listen to your mom and always take her advice.. "Just wait," they'd say, "one day you'll see that this whole time, she really did know what she was talking about." Blah, blah, blah. I couldn't even count how many times I'd heard that. I was constantly coming up with excuses about why mom couldn't possibly understand what was going on in my life because when she was my age, everything was just soooo different for her. I argued that she and I have totally different personalities, so there's no way she could know what I was thinking or what I was going to do before I did it, like she claimed. I'd try to say she didn't know what she was talking about when she told me I'd be better off to stay out of certain situations because I didn't think she'd ever been in them before, so she couldn't know what I should do.

Well, here I am, eighteen-years-old, four hours away from my mom, and I've finally experienced that moment where I say, "Ohhhh...maybe my mom was right." So, yes. Congratulations, Mom. You were right this whole time, about literally everything.

1. You were right about that boy not being any good for me and telling me I could do better, and that I deserved to be happy.

2. You were right about the majority of girls being petty, and their intentions to only benefit themselves through their actions.

3. You were right when you told me to remember who I am and where I come from, and that if I didn't I would get caught up in the world.

4. You were right when you said that I'd win the argument by not fighting back.

5. But you said that there is no winner in an argument, only one person who looks dumb.

6. You were right when you said I needed to do what's best for me and the rest would fall into line.

7. You were right that trying to put an end to the rumors would only make it worse.

8. You were right that he/she wasn't worth it.

9. You were right, those friends you didn't like were bad influences.

10. You were right that I shouldn't have broken his heart.

11. You were right about dad; as much as he nags me, he does always have my back.

12. You were right about following my heart for my profession and dream college, no matter how hard it would be.

13. You were right all those times you told me it wasn't the end of the world.

14. You were right when you said I'm an influence on my younger siblings because I see myself in them every day.

15. You were right when you said I should be careful where I spend my money.

16. You were right when you made me get a job--it really did make me grow up and learn the value of my own money.

17. You're right, he is a sweetheart.

18. You were right, you and I are the exact same person.

19. You were right when you said that there's always at least one good thing in every person.

20. You were right when you told me that if I could look past some of the things I didn't like or understand about people, I'd make some of the best friends.

21. You were right when you said you would always have my back--you always have and I know you always will.

Of course, there inevitably had to be mistakes that I would make and learn for myself. Though, if I'd just listened to you, I could've avoided them, but you were right when you said I would have to learn things by myself sometimes. You've been right my whole life, and I know that one day, you'll be right when I call you and ask you what to tell my daughter so she can say the same about me one day.

Thank you for having patience when me when I refused to see the obvious, and for always being right about everything. I've learned so much from you these last eighteen years, and I can only imagine how much more I have to learn. Love you, mom.