21 Things I Learned By 21

21 Things I Learned By 21

Eat the damn hot dog.
4460

Turning 21 is something people wait for their whole lives. For some, it's the day they finally can drink legally, and for others, it's the day they can ditch the fake id and nothing else really changes. I won't say what I'm most excited about, but I will say I have definitely learned a lot getting here.

1. Just because you turn 21 doesn't mean you have to "start adulting."

For people that are real-life adults at 21, good for you. However, just because you turn 21 doesn't mean you have any of it together at all. Use it as a yellow light instead of a red light. We all know you're going to speed up at the end anyway.

2. Be the girl that orders a hot dog instead of a salad at a restaurant.

Life is too short to pretend like you want to eat plants over an Oscar Meyer.

3. College students are like toddlers.

They love chicken nuggets, break down often and during the weekends, can barely walk.

4. Powerade Zero is a life changer.

It's like Pedialyte but under $1 and just as effective. You're welcome.

5. You're never too old to call your mom.

No matter what age your mom will always be there for you, plus she probably wants to hear from you just as much.

6. If a waiter spills a whole chicken dish on your head, don't get mad.

Learn to laugh at yourself, what you think is a big deal at the time probably won't matter in a day.

7. Never turn down any food eating contest.

When I turned 20 I mentioned not to turn down a wing eating contest. Here I am to correct myself.

8. It's okay to be wrong.

Going off my last thing. It's always better to admit you were wrong and improve, than to refuse defeat and stay the same. Own your sh*t, good or bad.

9. Always kiss your friends.

This sounds weird, but it's alright to show them some love, they deserve it.

10. Always remind your friends how much you love them.

Some people don't go for kissing. But seriously, make sure your friends are reminded how much they mean to you. Your friends are your rock.

11. Fried chicken at Harris Teeter is $5 on Friday.

YEE YEE.

12. Always make friends with strangers.

When there aren't bathrooms and you have to pee they'll make the damn Wall of China for you if you ask.

13. Your favorite songs from 8th grade are the best motivators.

Do yourself a favor and make a playlist.

14. Never buy toilet paper.

Steal it at places like bars and school. You can even use it as a game with your roommates and see who can get the most free rolls!

15. Do what scares you.

This is the motto I will always live by. The best things in life will come from the experiences you're nervous of. Let fear be your best motivator.

16. Make your hairdresser your best friend

They're who ultimately decides what you look like when you walk out of the salon, plus they make a great listener.

17. Know when honesty is the best policy.

Through my years I've learned that sometimes it's okay to extend the truth a little for certain situations. However, it's important to know the difference of when it's okay and when it's not.

18. Always make friends with bouncers.

They'll give you their flashlight when you lose your phone, just don't lose their flashlight looking for your phone in the process. But that's another story for a different day.

19. Getting complimented on your personality is just as good as getting complimented on your appearance.

How you make others feel is the most important mark you will ever leave on this earth. When someone compliments your mind take it just as well as you would on your looks.

20. Put your phone down.

This might seem like a crazy thing to do as a millennial, but sacrificing an Instagram to live your life from your eyes instead of a screen for even 30 minutes is worth it and completely underrated.

21. Enjoy life while you can.

Never sacrifice your happiness for another person and live your life in the moment. You never know what could happen or when something could change.