21 Reasons Having An Older Brother Is Best

There's no buddy like a brother.

21

Even though I have two older brothers, this article is dedicated to Rob, who conveniently just turned 21. First of all, Happy Birthday. Having you as an older brother is a gift from God, even when I think the opposite. You tease me often, but I know that you still love me.

In honor of your 21st, here are 21 reasons why having you around is the best thing that has ever happened to me:

1. You taught me how to understand boys.

Boys/Men are hard to understand as it is, but you made it easier. Through your actions Iv'e learned how a girl should be treated.

2. You taught me how to be tough.

I guess those "play fights" really came in handy because everyone knows not to mess with me. I learned how to stand up for myself, so I don't get pushed around by anyone.

3. You taught me how to love myself.

Everyone gets insecure, and you taught me my self-worth. Being around you helps me to appreciate everything about myself.

4. You introduced me to sports.

Because of you, I can play any sport I put my mind to. One of these days I'm going to beat you in basketball--but I have a long way to go.

5. You taught me compassion.

Every time we fight, I forgive you even when you make it nearly impossible. And no matter what I do, you always have compassion in your heart for me.

6. I get to be your stylist.

Let's face it--without me you'd be wearing clothes that don't match. You're welcome.

7. I learn from your mistakes.

Whenever you make a mistake, I get a lesson. Having you around helps me learn the tricks of the world.

8. You taught me not to take life too seriously.

Having an older brother can teach you to enjoy the humor of practical jokes. A lot of times, boys will play pranks. Learning to roll with the punches will teach you to not take life so seriously and be able to laugh at yourself.

9. You're my shoulder to cry on.

One of the perks of having an older brother is always having someone to talk to about my problems. So, thank you for listening.

10. You're my biggest fan.

You support me during everything I do, whether it's sports or school--you're there to help. You don't know how much it meant to me when I saw you sitting in the bleachers at my softball games cheering me on.

11. You'll break someones neck if they break my heart.

Even though you're way too over protective-- I mean it-- I know it’s only because you care. And I also know that you have no problem telling a boy off when they do me wrong (which happens quite often).

12. You buy me food.

We all know food is the key to my heart.

13. You take the brunt of parenting.

Having an older sibling mean someone already absorbed the bad parenting skills of mom and dad. By the time you come around, their skills are more refined and relaxed. For younger sisters, having an older brother may mean that your parents won’t be so hard on you.

14. I always have a steady stream of guys to date (sorry).

It can be difficult sometimes to find good men to date. Having an older brother means you will have a steady stream of men. Whatever the case, when it comes to dating, having an older brother can be a very productive resource.

15. You taught me how to manage my emotions.

Something bad is always going to happen because that’s life, and you taught me to "suck it up" and move on.

16. You taught me to be competitive.

It's a dog-eat-dog world and you have to be the best. So, thank you for teaching me the tricks of being sneaky yet productive.

17. I always have someone to keep me in check.

If it's not you, it's one of your friends "keeping an eye on me."

18. You're always honest.

ALWAYS. It's more like you don't have a filter, but if I really want to know what I look like in a dress, I know you are happy to tell me.

19. You stay sane when mom is, well, nuts.

Most of the time, I'm usually right when it comes to arguments. So, it’s nice to have someone on my side.

20. I get to teach you as well.

You want to make sure I am treated right, and I get to do the same. Girl advice? You always have me!

21. Well you're actually 21 now-- you know what that means.

Don't worry--I won't tell mom.

Thank you for everything.