21 Of The Best Quotes Of All Time

21 Of The Best Quotes Of All Time

Quotes that are sure to give you chills

20
21 Of The Best Quotes Of All Time

A good quote will relate to your life. A great quote will make you feel happy, sad, or introspective. But the best quotes--the best quotes give you chills. As everyone needs a few chill-inducing words in their life, I've compiled a list of 21 of my favorite quotes that always give me chills. Hopefully, they'll make you feel the same way.

1. "Linger not, stranger; shed no tear;
Go back to those who sent us here.
We are the young they drafted out
To wars their folly brought about.
Go tell those old men, safe in bed,
We took their orders and are dead."
--D. Hope

2. Death comes in its own time, in its own way. Death is as unique as the individual experiencing it."
--Henry Van Dyke

3. Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie.
--Unknown
4. “There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss

5. He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee."
--Nietzsche

6
. “They tried to bury us. They didn’t know we were seeds.”
— Mexican Proverb

7.
"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried. Most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad Gita; Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and, to impress him, takes on his multi-armed form and says, 'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.' I suppose we all thought that, one way or another."
--J. Robert Oppenheimer describing the reactions to the first atomic bomb test.

8.
"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

9
. “The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.”
--Nietzsche

10
. "First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—Because I was not a Socialist.
Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out—Because I was not a Trade Unionist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—Because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me."
--Martin Niemöller

11.
"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in"
--Greek proverb

12
. “Death doesn’t discriminate between the sinners and the saints. It takes and it takes and it takes and we keep living anyway. We rise and we fall and we break and we make our mistakes.”
–Lin Manuel Miranda

13
. "If you have to look along the shaft of an arrow from the wrong end, if a man has you entirely at his mercy, then hope like hell that man is an evil man. Because the evil like power, power over people, and they want to see you in fear. They want you to know you're going to die. So they'll talk. They'll gloat.They'll watch you squirm. They'll put off the moment of murder like another man will put off a good cigar. So hope like hell your captor is an evil man. A good man will kill you with hardly a word.” ― Terry Pratchett

14
. "Do not stand at my grave and weep, I am not there, I do not sleep. I am a thousand winds that blow. I am the diamond glint on snow. I am the sunlight on ripened grain. I am the gentle autumn rain. When you wake in the morning hush, I am the swift, uplifting rush Of quiet birds in circling flight. I am the soft starlight at night. Do not stand at my grave and weep. I am not there, I do not sleep. Do not stand at my grave and cry. I am not there, I did not die."
--Mary Frye

15.
“What is a legacy? It’s planting seeds in a garden you never get to see”
—Lin Manuel Miranda.

16.
"Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot."
--Carl Sagan

17
.
“My dear, Find what you love and let it kill you. Let it drain you of your all. Let it cling onto your back and weigh you down into eventual nothingness. Let it kill you and let it devour your remains. For all things will kill you, both slowly and fastly, but it’s much better to be killed by a lover.”
― Charles Bukowski

18.
"When i was a child, my mother said to me, 'If you become a soldier, you'll be a general. If you become a monk you'll end up as the pope.' Instead i became a painter and wound up as Picasso."
--Pablo Picasso

19
. "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."
--Star Wars episode III

20
. "It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll, I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul."
--William Ernest Henley

21.
“If there is a God, he will have to beg my forgiveness”
—Carved into the wall of a concentration camp by a Jewish prisoner

Hopefully, these quotes made you think or sent a shiver down your spine. What quotes do you feel in your chest when you read them? Drop a comment with your favorite quote.