My 20th Year Of Life Has Taught Me Everything Doesn't Need To Be Figured Out Yet

I have learned a lot at age 20, but I still have more to go.

5184
Tommy Lisbin

Twenty is that weird age where you can’t drink yet, you have to start becoming an adult, and also just figure out life. Trust me I am the last person that has their life figured out but 20 has definitely taught me that it’s somewhat okay.

Now if you read my last article then you know what my parents are like, and if not my parents are super strict, that’s the bottom line. I learned how to "take care of myself" pretty early. By that I mean I did my laundry, dishes, and just small basic necessities, just because my parents were always working to provide me with the best possible life.

So anyway, when I was a senior in high school and we were going through the college applying process, it was cool (and sad) to see that all of my friends wanted to go to different states, and study abroad, and move out. Skipping to now, I currently go to Valencia, a community college and still live with my parents. I am slightly complaining not at my parents but just at me.

Now you’re probably thinking, OK you haven’t talked about what 20 has done to you. Okay, Here you go. Twenty has taught me that what I am doing is okay. I am still at the same level as all my friends in universities, I am transferring to UCF in the fall (go Knights!), and I am moving out as well.

If you know me, I am the kind of person that works for a company for a couple weeks or months, gets bored, quits, spends all of the money I saved, and then reapply to new places. I get bored easily, and trust me I know “the real world doesn’t work that way...” I get it. I am starting a new job that I am really looking forward to – I finally have responsibilities including paying for my apartment rent that I will pay by myself, I joined amazing programs like Odyssey, a Pre-Law fraternity, clubs, and organizations all through UCF.

Although I don’t know what I am doing tomorrow (okay maybe not that dramatic), but I don’t know what the future has to hold, and neither does anyone else. But I would like to think that my 20th year of life has definitely made a dent in my future.

Now I’m not writing this article to say "look how much I have accomplished" because honestly I really haven’t done much. I’m writing this to say if you put your mind to anything in life do it! You want a car, get that job, get that car. Do whatever it is that you are passionate about to the fullest potential because right now is the only time you can mess up and fall in a hole and bring yourself back up from the mistake.

The most well-known people weren’t well known at some point – you have to build yourself up to be the best version of yourself. If that means you need to pay $800 a month to get some freedom, get rid of negative people in your life to go further, or simply just breathe, do whatever it is that will better yourself.