The Presidential Tinder Date

The Presidential Tinder Date

The Tinder guy that sends alike and for some reason instead of swiping left the United States swiped right, and he begins to lull us into a false sense of security.

23
The Presidential Tinder Date

This past week the President of the United States and the President of Russia met in Geneva, Switzerland. Mr. Putin is all too familiar with summits and photo ops, as this is the fifth president that sent him the olive branch.

It felt to me like a bad date. You know what I am talking about. The Tinder guy that sends alike and for some reason instead of swiping left the United States swiped right, and he begins to lull us into a false sense of security. There are the text messages that complement our President, the prying of information he can use against us in the future, and then there is the photo that he sends asking for our personal phone number so he can call and talk privately. I honestly believe Mr. Trump fell for his approach with gusto and bent over literally to please him.

One would think after four attempts to negotiate with Mr. Putin our acting President would have taken the left approach and let it be for a while. Unlike the "other guy," at least Mr. Biden was not alone in the room and made sure to keep him at a professional distance.

Even though the times are changing and the cold war with Russia has become a cyberwar, we don't need to please the man by putting him on the world stage and letting him spew his "what aboutisms" to the media.

I do believe that Mr. Biden has a different take on him. His past experiences with this dictator give him an upper hand compared to the previous presidents. However, the media and all its analysis will praise our president for his efforts and pan him in the same message. The only problem with that is Mr. Biden isn't biting, won't take the bait, and his wait-and-see approach is honest and forthright.

If the country thought that there was going to be a resolution to the two country's differences in an afternoon meeting, then we are just like the woman on Tinder that believes she can change the creepy guy and turn him into the man of her dreams. I don't want to make light of the situation, but for the past presidential term, we watched our president treat the heads of other countries like enemies of the state. Holding us hostage at the end of his term by false claims that are still actively breaching our democratic principles.

When Mr. Putin was asked about his dictatorship and the poisoning, prisoning, and executing of his political opponents, he reminded the world that there are four hundred plus people that have been arrested for the January 6th insurrection. Yet another "what aboutisms" that leaves the United States bruise and abused.

Let's not do that dance again and keep Russia at arms-length. Let the professionals do their job, the intelligence is ready and eager to get back to the business of security for the people of the United States. No matter how many times Mr. Putin shows up on any of the many online dating sites, we must all swipe left and keep him out of our lives.