GrEIGHTness: 8 New Things to Make Your 2020 Great!

Try some of these simple steps to spice up your new year!

745

It's been over a week since we welcomed the New Year to the scene, and I still can't believe that it's 2020. It's mind-blowing. I remember welcoming in 2019- and here we are starting another year! I will never understand how time goes by so quickly. But, in all seriousness, my 2019 was great. I started college at a school that I love, I met my best friend and roommate, I got a new cat, and I got to spend all of it with the best girlfriend I could ever ask for, she's amazing!

Now, of course we all want a good start to a new year, so here are some tips and ideas to keep your 2020 fun, flawless, healthy and of course, golden!

/

1. Start A New Routine

I'm not suggesting any crazy diets or odd rituals, but if you're looking to start a new routine, go for it! Keep in mind, it takes about 3 days of doing something continuously to create a habit. This is an easy goal if you're looking to add something simple to your day. It can be as something as simple as washing your face in the morning, hitting the gym in the evening, or grabbing some quick breakfast before work or school!

BigShot 1 Liter Hydration Bottle$12.99

2. Stay Hydrated

I know you probably hear this from lots of people, BUT staying hydrated and drinking lots of water can make a huge impact on your life. Drinking lots of water makes you feel more energized and aware! It also makes you feel fuller, which helps a ton if you're trying to improve eating habits. Water keeps toxins flushed from your organs and body, and helps reduce acne! Nathan Water Bottles are great for school, they come in cute colors and they're great quality. (And they're currently having a sale!)

board-game-cafes.html

3. Unplug

Because we live in a digital age, it's easy to become preoccupied with phones, laptops, and television. Try spending less time on electronics and more time with friends and family. You'd be surprised how much extra time this creates! Try making that Pinterest craft that's been saved to your board forever, or try playing the sport that you love to watch on TV. Go for a bike ride or take a stroll outdoors! The possibilities are endless- just put down that phone and enjoy the present!

4. Spend Time Outside

Yes, I know you hear this all the time too... so do it! Sunlight and fresh air are good for you! The outdoors can help you relax mentally and physically. If you've never been camping, I highly recommend it. Camping is another way to unplug from electronics. You could try primitive tent camping, or if you have a few extra bucks, you can even rent a cabin at a campsite! Most campsites offer areas with toilets and showers. It is a ton of fun and it'll help you forget the rest of the world for a little while. Check out PA's State Park Campgrounds.

5. Use Essential Oils & An Essential Oil Diffuser

Essential oil usage has skyrocketed recently, as people are looking at utilizing things that occur naturally. Peppermint is great for boosting energy. Lavender reduces stress. Jasmine helps with depression. Ylang-Ylang can be used to treat headaches. Rose can reduce anxiety, and tea tree oil can boost immunity. There are tons of essential oils and hundreds of uses for all of them! It can be rolled on, diffused, or used with diffuser bracelets. There are lots of cute and affordable diffusers. Amazon is a great place to grab one!

6. Read A New Book

Reading is another great way to relax. It exercises your mind, and you may even learn a few new words along the way! My challenge to you is to not only read a new book, but also try reading something outside of the realm that you usually seek out. I never thought I would enjoy reading autobiographies, but after reading Coming Clean by Kimberly Rae Miller, I realized they're rather interesting! A great place to look for new book suggestions is Goodreads. You can make an account for free and search by genre or look for books similar to ones you read previously. If you are looking into purchasing books, I highly recommend ThriftBooks. They sell used books in good shape, new books, and even textbooks at a great price. After you buy nine books from ThriftBooks, you get the tenth free!

7. Volunteer

Volunteering is both fun and rewarding. Personally, I love to volunteer. There are a variety of different places to spend some time helping out. Think about it- your local school, library, YMCA, Boys and Girls Club, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Little League, The Ronald McDonald House, a local hospital, nursing homes, after school clubs, homeless shelters and even animal shelters are looking for volunteers. The people that you help and spend your time with will thank you- and you'll feel good about donating your time. You will learn priceless life lessons and meet some amazing people (or animals) along the way!

8. Learn To Cook A New Food

Learning to cook new dishes and foods is a ton of fun! If you don't cook, take a look in to learning a few new recipes! Being able to cook many types of food or several complete dishes is a good skill to have. Simply put, you have to eat- so knowing how to cook a healthy meal is important! It's also entertaining to teach other friends and family how to cook. You can start out simple and build up to more complex recipes. Allrecipes is a great site to find fun and interesting recipes rated by others who have also attempted them.

Bonus: Just a quick PSA! If you are a college student, you can use your student email to signup for UNiDays and get discounts in-store and online for clothing like American Eagle, Hollister, Levis, UGG, Forever 21, and Under Armor. Food services like Grubhub, Hello Fresh, and Every Plate offer some sweet deals! You can even get discounted memberships to places like Sam's Club and Costco. You can also grab some makeup with deals provided by Clinique and MAC, and other companies such as Kate Spade, GoPro, Apple Music, Apple, Samsung, Hotels.com, Audible, Bed Bath and Beyond and LensCrafters. A lot of the discounts are pretty big, usually between 15% and 30%. IT'S SO WORTH IT! It's free to join, so just create a free account with your college email address, and you'll be go to go!