2019 Is The Year For Acknowledgement, Acceptance And Respect
New Year

It's 2019, people.

639

With 2018 coming to an end, it's time to think about how to make 2019 better. We are slowly but surely becoming a world where we're more accepting of people, no matter their background, who they love, or how they live their life. However, there are still plenty of instances where this is not the case. 2018 may have not been the best year for progress, but progress is progress, and 2019 is just one step closer.

2019 can be one more step in the progress of acknowledgment, acceptance, and respect by normalizing the way people live. This is the year to normalize...

1. Boys playing with "girl" toys and vice versa

It's time to accept that kids just want to play with whatever they want. Kids are just kids and they see something they like, just let them be! It shouldn't matter that little billy is playing with a doll or Susie wants a hot wheels car. They're just toys!

2. Not treating women like objects

2018 was huge for women and the #Metoo movement. This year, let's keep that up. Believe women's stories, and stop treating them like objects. High school girls shouldn't have to cover their shoulders, women are more than sexual objects, and it's time to treat them better. It's not about it being someone's mom, sister, daughter, or wife. It's about it being someone, and a person is not just an object for someone else to use.

3. Trans people using the restroom they identify with

Trans people are not using the bathroom to peak on anyone. They just need to pee! It's time to stop throwing a huge fit over someone using the bathroom that they feel comfortable with. Let trans people use the bathroom that they identify with, nothing else will come of it except bladder relief.

4. Not forcing physical affection on people

It shouldn't matter if it's a family member, friend, and close family friends, if someone doesn't want to give them a hug or a kiss, they shouldn't have to. It's time to stop forcing physical affection on people, especially kids. If they don't want to, don't force them to!

5. Mental health needs are real

2019 is the year to be there for those who suffer from mental illness. Mental health needs are very real. If you need a break from stress, take it. If you know someone is struggling, try to be there for them. If you see yourself going down a bad path, help yourself. Mental health problems aren't new and these generations aren't 'soft', it's just time to accept that they exist.

6. Men crying and non-toxic masculinity

It's not that hard to be a decent human being and show a more non-toxic side of masculinity. Although there's a huge stigma around it and men get laughed at for not living up to toxic masculinity instead, this is the year to encourage the nontoxic side much more. Oh, and let men cry! Everyone is allowed to show their feelings, even men.

7. Boys wearing makeup

Let boys be who they are. If a boy wants to wear makeup, who are you to stop them or judge them? It's time to accept that boys can look damn fine in makeup just as well as women.

8. People come from different countries and have different skin color

This is a major obvious one. Accept that people aren't always from the same country as you and aren't the same color as you. Everyone's lives are different, and that includes how people spend their days as a person of color. Although this shouldn't be on this list of things to "normalize" in 2019, it has to be. Accept people for who they are instead of judging them on it.

9. Different body types

Yes, everyone has a different body type too. It's time to accept that not everyone is a size zero, one, or two. Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes and it shouldn't take this long to respect that. Hopefully, this is the year to embrace this with more plus-size models as well.

10. Homosexual relationships in public

And lastly, it's 2019 folks! It's time to understand the fact that love is love, it's not a phase, and that homosexual relationships of any kind are just as valid as straight ones. With that being said, two men kissing or two women holding hands together shouldn't be looked down upon. It's about time that those in gay relationships are able to show their affection just like anybody else and not get commented on or bothered.

You're in charge of how you make 2019. Make it right!