The 91st Academy Awards: Who's Going To Win?

Who is taking home the gold?

3823
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg52up16eq0

With The Oscars this weekend we have to start making our predictions on who is gonna take home the gold for each category(with the exception of shorts because I haven't been able to see them yet).

If you're in an Oscar pool or just trying to fill out a good ballot feel free to use this as a guide! There are quite a bit of up in the air categories that might be tough to predict, and let's start with one of those, Best Picture!

Best Picture

Nominees: "Roma," "The Favourite," "Bohemian Rhapsody," "Black Panther," "Vice," "Green Book," "BlacKkKlansman," "A Star Is Born"

Lane's Vote: "The Favourite"

Lane's Prediction: "Roma"

I've been very open that my favorite film of the Best Picture nominees was "The Favourite," but I feel that "Roma" will probably win this category. It's held the lead throughout this awards season. My vote for Favourite is not in any way to discount "Roma," but I just enjoyed Favourite more. Still, Roma will take it.

Best Director

Nominees: Alfonso Cuaron ("Roma"), Spike Lee ("BlacKkKlansman"), Yorgos Lanthimos ("The Favourite"), Adam McKay ("Vice"), Pawel Pawlikowski ("Cold War")

Lane's Vote: Yorgos Lanthimos

Lane's Prediction: Alfonso Cuaron

I'm a bit biased for Yorgos because of his outside the box filmmaking, but there's no way Alfonso doesn't win Best Director this year.

Best Actress

Nominees: Glenn Close ("The Wife"), Lady Gaga ("A Star Is Born"), Olivia Colman ("The Favourite"), Yalitza Aparicio ("Roma"), Melissa McCarthy ("Can You Ever Forgive Me?")

Lane's Vote: Glenn Close

Lane's Prediction: Glenn Close

Glenn Close has been the favorite for this category all year, and she deserves it.

Best Actor

Nominees: Rami Malek ("Bohemian Rhapsody"), Christian Bale ("Vice"), Bradley Cooper ("A Star Is Born"), Viggo Mortensen ("Green Book"), Willem Dafoe ("At Eternity's Gate")

Lane's Vote: Rami Malek

Lane's Prediction: Rami Malek

I've been a fan of Malek ever since he starred in Mr. Robot. He just becomes his character so well, and it's very deserving of an Oscar.

Supporting Actress

Nominees: Regina King ("If Beale Street Could Talk"), Rachel Weisz ("The Favourite"), Amy Adams ("Vice"), Marina de Tavira ("Roma"), Emma Stone ("The Favourite")

Lane's Vote: Rachel Weisz

Lane's Prediction: Regina King

I loved Rachel Weisz in "The Favourite," she was the best acting part of the entire film. However, Regina King was also amazing in her own right, bringing an undefinable superb element to the character.

Supporting Actor

Nominees: Mahershala Ali ("Green Book"), Richard E. Grant ("Can You Ever Forgive Me?"), Sam Elliott ("A Star Is Born"), Adam Driver ("BlacKkKlansman"), Sam Rockwell ("Vice")

Lane's Vote: Sam Rockwell

Lane's Prediction: Mahershala Ali

I thought Sam Rockwell gave the most hilarious, spot-on, mirror performance in "Vice." His portrayal of George W. Bush was uncanny. However, I still see Ali taking this one. One of the best indicators of acting is if you don't watch the film and think "Oh, that's *insert actor name*." Ali is excellent in that regard.

Adapted Screenplay

Nominees: "BlacKkKlansman," "If Beale Street Could Talk," "Can You Ever Forgive Me?," "A Star Is Born," "Ballad of Buster Scruggs"

Lane's Vote: "BlacKkKlansman"

Lane's Prediction: "BlacKkKlansman"

"BlacKkKlansman's" got this. Awesome, awesome writing for a real gritty film that brings to life the parallels between its setting and today.

Original Screenplay

Original Screenplay

Nominees: "The Favourite," "Green Book," "Roma," "First Reformed," "Vice"

Lane's Vote: "First Reformed"

Lane's Prediction: "The Favourite"

"The Favourite" is the brainchild of Yorgos, so it definitely had some excellent writing. So much symbolism, as well as themes that remain true in the current day (this film was set in 1708). It has a solid twist and left me in shock and awe as I left the theater.

Cinematography

Nominees: "Roma," "The Favourite," "Cold War," "A Star Is Born," "Never Look Away"

Lane's Vote: "The Favourite"

Lane's Prediction: "The Favourite"

Roma is considered the favorite in this regard, and I could definitely see it winning, but you just have to see The Favourite to understand it's unparalleled wide shots of the beautiful set design. The time period became real.

Costume Design

Nominees: "The Favourite," "Black Panther," "Mary Queen of Scots," "Mary Poppins Returns," "Ballad of Buster Scruggs"

Lane's Vote: "The Favourite"

Lane's Prediction: "The Favourite"

Much like "Phantom Thread" last year, "Favourite" will run away with this category.

Film Editing 

Nominees: "Vice," "Bohemian Rhapsody," "BlacKkKlansman," "The Favourite," "Green Book"

Lane's Vote: "Vice"

Lane's Prediction: "Vice"

The editing really was spectacular in "Vice," but don't be surprised if "Bohemian Rhapsody" sneaks up and steals it.

Makeup and Hair

Nominees: "Vice," "Mary Queen of Scots," "Border"

Lane's Vote: "Vice"

Lane's Prediction: "Vice"

"Vice" has this one in the bag.

Production Design

Nominees: "The Favourite," "Black Panther," "Roma," "Mary Poppins Returns," "First Man"

Lane's Vote: "The Favourite"

Lane's Prediction: "The Favourite"

As mentioned before, Favourite's production is spectacular, immersing you in the time period.

Score 

Nominees: "If Beale Street Could Talk," "Black Panther," "Mary Poppins Returns," "BlacKkKlansman," "Isle of Dogs"

Lane's Vote: "If Beale Street Could Talk"

Lane's Prediction: "If Beale Street Could Talk"

I'm still a bit upset that "First Man" wasn't included in this category, but gotta work with what we got. "If Beale Street Could Talk" had a ton of beautiful iconic moments, but "Isle of Dogs" is in a real close second.

Song 

Nominees: "Shallow," "All The Stars," "The Place Where Lost Things Go," "I'll Fight," "When a Cowboy Trades His Spurs for Wings"

Lane's Vote: "Shallow"

Lane's Prediction: "Shallow"

Sound Editing and Sound Mixing 

Nominees: "First Man," "A Quiet Place," "Bohemian Rhapsody," "Black Panther," "Roma," "A Star Is Born"

Lane's Vote: "First Man" x2

Lane's Prediction: "First Man" x2

Visual Effects 

Nominees: "Avengers: Infinity War," "First Man," "Ready Player One," "Solo: A Star Wars Story," "Christopher Robin"

Lane's Vote: "First Man"

Lane's Prediction: "Avengers: Infinity War"

Animated Feature

Nominees: "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse," "Isle Of Dogs," "Incredibles 2," "Ralph Breaks the Internet," "Mirai"

Lane's Vote: "Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse"

Lane's Prediction: "Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse"

A late addition to the party, "Spider-Verse" blew me away not just with narrative, but with animation quality as well. It'll win this category.