'Green Book' Is A Shoe-In Best Picture Nominee

"Green Book" features amazing writing couples with astounding performances that are sure to open your eyes to racism but also touch you as the friendship between the two protagonists builds.

1467
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZS5d9l8XL0

It's now nearing December, and that means my favorite time for films, Oscar season, is just around the corner!

Recently, a film has assuredly separated itself as a nomination for not just Best Picture, but the actor categories as well. I think it'll definitely go down as one of my favorites for 2018 when the year is all said and done.

"Green Book" features Viggo Mortenson (you might know him as Aragorn from "Lord of the Rings") as Tony Lip, a driver/bouncer from New York, and Academy Award winner Mahershala Ali (Moonlight), as Dr. Don Shirley, a talented African-American pianist who insists on taking a concert tour through the deep south, known for it's terrible racism.

Green Book Trailer #1 (2018) | Movieclips TrailersYouTube

The performances given by both Viggo and Mahershala are astounding and should receive at least nominations for their contributions. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they both actually won their categories for their performances.

Viggo just seems lost in his role, taking on a character that's definitely different from anything he's played before. Viggo takes on the Italian accent with great enthusiasm and it certainly shows on screen. It was one of the most believable characters I've seen.

Mahershala also plays quite a different character from the one he portrayed in "Moonlight." Instead of a stoic, father-like presence, Ali takes on more of a calm, reserved warrior role, similar to that of the real-life Martin Luther King Jr.

The writing is also quite interesting. I ended up seeing this film late at night, with the showing starting around 10:15. I had no trouble staying awake.

The story centers around the at one point prejudiced Tony Lip who buys into the racism of the 1960s America.

However, when his family needs money, he takes a job driving a black pianist, Dr. Don Shirley, through the deep south (an area rampant with racism), for a tour. Obviously, during this time in the south, black people are not allowed to stay in the same hotels as whites, so Lip and Shirley must refer to the "Green Book," a reference guide for where black people can stay as they drive through the most racist parts of the country.

The relationship that Lip and Shirley build is a touching one as both characters end up having their preconceived notions of the other race changed dramatically. I find this film incredibly relevant in today's world as I feel the film depicts the journey to equality, which I'll detail later on in the spoiler section.

While the basic parts, the writing, and acting, are definitely on point, there was nothing really spectacular in terms of the score, cinematography or effects.

All of these aspects are merely secondary to the film, and I feel, especially because of the cinematography, that it's not a complete enough film to actually -win- Best Picture. However, I feel it's certainly good enough, simply because of its subject matter and fundamental principles, to receive a nomination.

Spoilers below, scroll past for the final score.

In terms of dissecting symbolism and themes, I find the entire point of the film to be the depiction of the journey to equality. While Lip and Shirley drive across America, they frequently make stops either to stop for the night, get food, or simply car maintenance. Each of these stops represents benchmarks in the timeline to equality.

For example, both Don and Tony stop to throw water on the burnt out engine, and while they do so, they both see African-Americans working in the field, obviously depicting the once slavery-ridden South. This obviously represents one of the benchmarks in the journey to equality. Tony and Don then drive off after repairing their car, as the abolishing of slavery was repairing the wrongs in America.

Spoilers over.

I'll probably see "Green Book" one or two more times. I enjoyed this movie a great deal, and not only was it mostly serious, but it had a decent amount of comedy as well. It makes for an enjoyable, but also eye-opening ride. I loved "Green Book" and you'll love it too.

Is it worth it?

"Green Book" features amazing writing couples with astounding performances that are sure to open your eyes to racism but also touch you while the friendship between the two protagonists builds.

Final score: 9.1/10, worth It