2018 Was My Favorite Year By Far

2018 Was My Favorite Year So Far

I grew as a person and figured out who my real friends are.

92
Annie Spratt
Annie Spratt

I was always that person who would look back on the year and be pretty unsatisfied. I never really did anything that made me feel as if I had accomplished something. Up until 2018, every year seemed to be a slow and boring repetition of the one before it. I would still be going to school, have the same friends, live in the same house with the same people, and do the same things every day. I didn't have anything against my routine; it just wasn't very exciting.

2018, however, was a year that I feel went pretty well. I grew as a person and figured out who my real friends are. I went through the arduous process of applying to college, and experienced the life-changing moment of getting in. I turned 18, and with that came enormous responsibility. My parents finally lifted that totally unfair curfew (which really wasn't very unfair) and I had to start living like an adult for the first time in my life. I moved out, away from my parents for the very first time, and I was pretty nervous about that. Not only did I move out, but I moved to a completely different state that I wasn't very familiar with in the first place.

I went to California all by myself and experienced the excitement of traveling alone. I went somewhere new and loved every second of it. I had the amazing experience of meeting people from so many different places and I believe that it really has made me a better person. I had to make a lot of sad goodbyes, but was overjoyed when our reunions came around. I hated being so far away from my high school friends, and I wished that we were closer. But then I met my college friends, and realized that they were going to love and accept me, even though I have only known them for a few months.

I know that 2019 is going to be a great year. For the first time in a long time, there is nothing standing in my way. I hope to have an amazing year and I know that my friends and family will be the biggest reasons for that coming true. Not only will 2019 be my year, but I think that 2019 might be a really good year for a lot of people. I hope that everyone can finally feel comfortable enough to be themselves, and know that they are loved and accepted.

As we progress further and further as a society, I know that we are still moving forward with baby steps. We have a long way to go, but for now, let's take it one step at a time. Let's make 2019 the best year yet.