2018 Resolutions For a Soon-To-Be College Graduate

As one chapter ends, a new one is just beginning
153

Going into the final semester of college is an exciting and terrifying time. One last hoorah with all your pals in one spot. So many dollar beers to be drank, havoc to be wreaked, photos to take, and memories to make. Only having one semester left also means having to prepare for what is ACTUALLY the real world: getting jobs, paying bills and student loans, potentially moving out, and basically starting a fresh chapter in life. With this giant step quickly approaching and a semester of fun right around the corner, 2018 is the time to set realistic, obtainable, and necessary goals.

1. Broaden my business wardrobe

I don't think I'll ever part from my baggy tee shirts, Old Navy jeans, and Vans, but I can definitely invest a few more pairs of sensible flats and pencil skirts. Business clothes are starting to become more trendy, comfortable and affordable with so many companies having a more relaxed business style. Nevertheless, it's better to be prepared for the approaching interviews.

2. Tidy up social media accounts

It probably couldn't hurt to spend a little more time on Linkedin networking and a little less time on Twitter sharing memes.

3. Learn how to cook

Because Dominos, Cluck-U and sushi just might not be around the corner anymore... and being a college kid is no longer an excuse to eat all three twice a week.

4. Cut negative people out of your life

It's your LAST semester! Do not let anyone who brings negative energy to your life take priority. This might be the last time you and some of your favorite people will be living together, so make each individual you let in count, and say "Kick rocks" to the ones who don't.

5. Take interest in fancy wines

The days of funneling beers and bodyshots are ending and the nights of dinner parties and work functions are approaching. Nothing makes a better gift than a wine that makes you look like you just got off a vineyard tour in Sonoma. I'll never be too cool to pass up the right opportunity to shotgun a cold one, but perhaps enhancing my knowledge of fine Merlot's could be beneficial.

6. Travel. A lot.

Have you and your pals been thinking about tackling the art museums of NYC? Go. Have an ideal location in mind for the best spring break ever? Book it. Thinking about going abroad for a post-graduation backpacking trip? Do it. You will never be this young or have this much time again. It's best to go everywhere and do everything you can before buckling down in a full-time, adult job.

7. Invest in yourself and the things you love

2018 will be the year of self-love. Do the things that make you happy and make you feel confident about yourself. Whether that's splurging on an expensive lipstick, treating yourself to season opener baseball tickets, or getting guac on your Chipotle burrito, you deserve to treat yourself and do/have the things you enjoy.

8. Take time to reflect on the past four years

College is a giant chapter in life. For four (or so) years, you've moved into different buildings, joined organizations that have shaped your life, made friends that you will share your next milestones with and lost the ones that held you back. You've had internships, jobs, maybe even studied abroad. These are the memories and experiences that have prepared you for what's yet to come... and what's yet to come will be just as good as what has been.