The Midterm Elections Were A Victory

The Midterm Elections Were A Victory

The Blue Wave may not have toppled Republican's hold on the Senate; however, here's why the 2018 Midterms were significant.

24

2020 begins today.

Here's just a highlight reel from last night:

Democrats gained the majority in the U.S. House of Representatives for the first time in eight years.

At least seven governorships transitioned from Republican to Democratic.

Multiple women were elected to positions of power in local and national politics.

President Trump's incumbency advantage failed to shift more districts Republican; rather 317 districts (some of which were deeply rooted in Trump country) swung left.

The 2018 Midterms demonstrated record voter turnout with an estimated 113 million individuals casting their ballot and voice.

With all these high points, unfortunately, there were disappointing moments as well.

The Blue Wave failed to permeate the strong red-hold on the Senate.

Beto O'Rourke was marginally edged out by Ted Cruz in an intense battle for to become Texas's next senator.

These bitter disappointments are matched by equal (if not greater) achievements. Congress will finally have checks and balances on the Republican's previous unfettered control of all aspects of government. In terms of gubernatorial elections, the shift from red-to-blue in local positions of power indicates a barrier of protection that will fight against the Trump's administration's agenda. Women and people-of-color also have increased representation in positions of government.

Even with all these positive notes, it's important to remember that this is just a starting point and that more must be done. The fight for 2020 begins now.

Dan Rather, an accomplished journalist, succinctly summarized the current state of the union in a recent Facebook post:

"This morning I awaken cautiously optimistic about the state of our nation, an optimism that I intend to steep in clear-eyed realism. Last night was a roller coaster, and the ups and downs have resulted in a decidedly mixed verdict. Yet I believe, over time, that this may be seen as much more of a victory for the forces mobilizing to resist the excesses of Trumpism."