2018 Is About Making It Happen

2018 Is About Making It Happen

With a new year comes new opportunities for finding yourself
80

As we reach about two weeks into the new year, we see new year’s resolutions in full swing or completely forgotten about. Whichever it may be, there is so much time ahead. It seems as though our technology infatuated generation only puts forth resolutions to share it on social media with captions along the lines of “new year, new me”. Instead of only focusing on this at the beginning of the year, carry this passion throughout the year. Let your goals be about more than social media and more about bettering yourself. Striving to be the best version of yourself should not end just a few weeks in, but is something that we should all work towards each and every day.

In the past, I have made resolutions similar to everyone else. Whether it is watching less television, reading more often, eating healthier, or working out more, they all tended to end by the first month or so. The resolutions always sounded great at the time they were made, but when they are not kept, they left me feeling empty and unsure.

I want this year to be different. Rather than making the same resolutions as I had for the past decade, I wanted to focus this year on a change I wished to see in my life. I encourage you all to do the same. One easy way to do so is by choosing a word or phrase which embodies your new year. It should resemble your hopes for the future. It does not need to be complicated. The options are endless.

This year, I wish to be adventurous. I want to live each day to the fullest and seize every moment I am given. When you hear the word “adventurous”, actions such as skydiving, rock climbing, parasailing, scuba diving, river rafting and others may come to mind. Although I would love to try all of these out, I mean adventurous in a different way. I want to challenge myself to be adventurous in the sense of trying something new every day and not letting fear ever stand in my way.

From taking a day trip to a new place to trying out new recipes in the kitchen, a new year is all about new chances. It is about setting goals and learning new skills. Life is simply too short to overthink things. Start small with adventures such as meeting someone new and work your way up to something like traveling to a new country.

In the end, 2018 is just twelve short months and how you chose to spend it is up to you. The month of January is often referred to as the slowest month of the year for many reasons. The holidays are over, school is back in session, and you regret spending your break watching multiple television series rather than being out in the community. I encourage everyone to spend this slower month thinking of ways to make this year the best one yet. 2018 is about being the best version of yourself through actions rather than tired resolutions.