The 2017 Oscars Robbery

The 2017 Oscars Robbery

Lin-Manuel Miranda was genuinely robbed by the Academy.

61
The 2017 Oscars Robbery
RealChannel65

Last night, the 2017 Academy Awards were held. While many people won and even more people lost, there was only one category that I really cared about. That category was Best Original Song. Even though I had a very strong suspicion that one of the two nominated "La La Land" songs would win, I was still very strongly rooting for Lin-Manuel Miranda to win for his work on "Moana." Unfortunately, that did not happen.

Had Lin-Manuel Miranda won this award, he would have successfully completed his EGOT (Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, Tony) as the youngest person ever to do so at 37 years old. I wholeheartedly believe that Lin-Manuel Miranda deserved not only this singular award, but the honor that comes with being an EGOT winner. Only 12 people in history have done so, so it is a rather prestigious position to be in.

As if the EGOT weren't enough, Lin-Manuel Miranda would have also been in the position to claim the coveted PEGOT, as he has also won a Pulitzer prize along with the myriad of other awards to his name. Only two people before him have managed to secure all five awards, so he would have truly been in spectacular company had he won.

While Lin-Manuel Miranda will be involved in two different films coming out in 2018 that could secure him the Oscar that he needs to become the third PEGOT winner, doing so would only make him tie with Robert Lopez for the youngest EGOT winner ever at 39 years old. I truly hope to see him accomplish this great honor here in the next few years, as I believe that he genuinely deserves it more than any artist in our time.

In my opinion, Lin-Manuel Miranda was robbed at the Oscars last night. I think that he should have won for his work on "Moana" over "La La Land," but obviously the Academy does not particularly care about my opinion. I hope to see LMM win an Oscar one day soon, but until that day, I will maintain my position that he deserves it more than anyone else in this day and age.